Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey like the title says I have a 2018 sv and about a day out of warranty it got a rod-knock. I already took it to the dealer Suzuki denyed the repair. I don’t hold it against the bike I ride hard it’s only a year old and it has 11k hard miles ( I enjoy stunt riding)

I’m curious if there is any other year sv motors that I can order parts from? I can’t really find anything for an 18 which is understandable since it’s so new.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
You know about the "wheelies starve the front piston and friends of oil" thing, right?

On another note, your username made me lol in front of uptight and judgmental relatives...;-)

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Sounds like the old SV1000 rod knock. No, can't be. Can it?
The SV1K knock always started right after the 500 mile servicing where the oil and filter were changed. The OEM filter is not the same one as the same part# gets you here from the Parts Dept of any dealer. The original filter allowed enough oil to the motor while the replacement was too restrictive and starved the engine a bit at hot idle. On the move they were fine...just the motor gets a little cranky at low idle when the oil is hot. Suzuki changed a bunch of bearings on the early motors which did have larger clearances so they're less dependent on the oil pressure at idle to prevent noise. The early large clearance motors would live long and run strong with 20-50 oil and a better filter setup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I remember. That's what I did, too--went to synthetic 20-50. I was one of the riders here in the US who raised a stink about it after we found out the UK dealers were treating it as a warranty repair. I've wondered since if the hell we raised led to the engine being discontinued.

But you say it was an oil filter problem? I'll be darned. Too bad Suzuki didn't realize that. It was a great bike. I switched to a Kawi Z1000. That's a better bike, in my opinion. Crashed it, though, on a panic stop. Riding an SV650 now with Ohlins fork cartridges. Sweet! It's like having a perky girlfriend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts