Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sam Sims
08/02/2012

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/files/2013-kawasaki-ninja-250r-unveiled 10.jpg

Although the official launch won't be until fall, Kawasaki Japan has unveiled photos of the re-designed 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, the bike taking much styling from its older sibling, the Kawasaki ZX-10R.

Since its inception in 1983, the Kawasaki Ninja 250 R has been the leader in entry-level sportbikes. But when Honda released the CBR250R stateside in 2011, competition intensified in the quarter-liter segment, leaving Kawasaki under pressure to remain the dominate player.

One huge feature the Honda has over the Kawasaki is fuel injection, an item Kawasaki kept from the Ninja 250 R to keep the price below $4,500. But according to Kawasaki Japan, fuel injection will be offered, though its unknown if it will be available on stateside models.

Another big option on the 2013 250 R Ninja will be optional ABS, which will add four pounds to the base weight of 379 lbs. Otherwise, besides the more aggressive look, Kawasaki Japan confirms the Ninja will receive a new DOHC parallel-twin engine with upgraded pistons, crank case and cylinders.

The colors available in Japan are Lime Green, Lime Green/Ebony, Ebony, Ebony Metallic Moondust Grey, Passion Red, Passion Red Stardust White, and Pearl Stardust White.

As for MSRP, nothing was released, but the 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R costs $4,199-$4,499.

Stay clicked to UltimateMotorCycling.com for additional information as it becomes available. For now, check out the image gallery above of the 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R.

Add new comment Email this page

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Very nice. I'm really curious to see what that msrp will be.

379lbs. is a bit piggish though.

I weighed my 04 N on the scale here at work (the thing is calibrated and certified, I'm a weighmaster amongst other things) and it weighed in at 400lbs. with a full tank of fuel. The scale weighs in increments of 20lbs. so it could be up to 419.9lbs. but definitely not more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The scale weighs in increments of 20lbs. so it could be up to 419.9lbs. but definitely not more.
Just thinking, wouldn't that mean that it could be up to 410lbs. As surely anything over that would be rounded up. Especially something like 419.9lbs.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Just thinking, wouldn't that mean that it could be up to 410lbs. As surely anything over that would be rounded up. Especially something like 419.9lbs.
Actually we're both wrong. Now that you point it out (I'm really tired) it would weigh no more than 400lbs. Anything more would round up. Good call.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Very nice. I'm really curious to see what that msrp will be.

379lbs. is a bit piggish though.

I weighed my 04 N on the scale here at work (the thing is calibrated and certified, I'm a weighmaster amongst other things) and it weighed in at 400lbs. with a full tank of fuel. The scale weighs in increments of 20lbs. so it could be up to 419.9lbs. but definitely not more.
Well, that probably means it weighs around 340lbs dry. Remember, the Japanese manufacturers are listing their bikes wet weight now.

Your bike is probably closer to 420-430lbs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Im shocked there is enough money in 250's to warrant a redesign so soon. The last redesign was a few years ago, before that it was like 20 years untouched.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Im shocked there is enough money in 250's to warrant a redesign so soon. The last redesign was a few years ago, before that it was like 20 years untouched.
There isn't much money in the US market for 250s, but it is HUGE elsewhere.

The CBR125 and the Ninja 250 are Canada's top selling motorcycles. It's sad I know, but with the graduated licensing and the absolutely f%$king rediculous insurance premiums up here....a 125 or 250 is all some people can afford.

I imagine Europe is a very similar situation, the smaller CC bikes outsell the larger bikes by a long shot.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sharp looking bike. Add me to the list on those wheels, not sure what I think of those.
That bike would absolutely have to have FI for me to even consider it. I'm still lusting after the CBR250R.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
That, and the fact that Honda's offered them some competition, means they can't sit on their laurels any more.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
I kinda like it.

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
818 Posts
The 250 is Kawi's biggest seller in the U.S.A., according to what I have read. IMHO, the last redesign was not well thought out, and the CBR has forced the improvements that should have happened then.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
This is the first I heard of offering FI on the new model. The article I read previously didn't mention it. I really hope they do have it available in the States. That really is a glaring fault with the Kawi over the new Honda.

I like this body redesign except for those vent looking things on the side with the horizontal lines reminiscent of the ZX-14.

I'm surprised that Suzuki or Yamaha haven't gotten into the 250 game. It's such a HUGE market worldwide. I'd love to see a GSXR-inspired 250. IMO, the GSXRs are the best looking of the big four's sportbikes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I considered buying a CBR250R in black. I was talked out of it though. I learned on a Honda Rebel, but I was told that once I got used to riding, I'd be bored on a 250. So I settled on a 650 instead. Those new Ninja 250s are cute too. (yes...I call bikes cute...oh well.)

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Yeah in Europe there's a huge market for motorcycles, and smaller engines are the way to go. My friend in Italy had to give up his Cagiva Raptor 650 (Italian frame made by Cagiva/MVAgusta but with SV650 Engine and better suspensions) because his Insurance was costing him almost 2000 Euros per year, which is absolutely insane considering he paid 2300 for the bike back in 2009...

Now the only way for him to get a bike that won't kill him on insurance is getting a bike that is more than 10yrs old...

Honestly the whole reason why the 250 is so popular is because it was cheap, reliable and fun to ride. The latest model is already pretty expensive, I can only imagine the 2013 one being over 5500 OTD... That's a bit steep for some new plastics and FI...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts