Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of the New Yamaha R1 with the Crossplane crankshaft? It is supposed to make it alot more mangable to ride. It looks pretty sweet to me!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think the new R1 is a$$ ugly. The 06 -08 is the best year I think. As for power, I did here its pretty insane!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Love the new sound, and Spies and Sykes are sure showing what it's capable of.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I think the '04 is the sexiest. Give me the new motor/brakes/suspension and wrap it up in '04 red for me please.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Crossplane Crankshaft <-- what does that even mean?

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
The crankshaft has been reconfigured to cause a different firing order from the normal I4 layout. There's plenty of articles out there about it. May I suggest a google search?

·
Registered
364 Posts
The crankshaft has been reconfigured to cause a different firing order from the normal I4 layout. There's plenty of articles out there about it. May I suggest a google search?

Thanks that all the info I need for now

S

·
0 Posts
Wonder how long before we see YouTube videos of Smart cars powered with the new R1 engine?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Thanks that all the info I need for now
A normal inline-4 crankshaft looks much like if you stick your first/pinkie fingers up and your middle/right finger down into your palm (outside two up, inside two down).

Yamaha's Cross-Plane crankshaft looks like a cross - one up, one left, on down, one right.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I thought the 09 R1s were ugly as hell when I first saw it but im getting more used to it now. I was not a fan of the new R6's when they first came out but I like them now. I have not seen a 09 R1 in person yet, so we shall see what happens then. I don't think what they did with the undertail exhaust this year will ever look good.

Personally I thought the 04-06 R1's were the best looking bikes out there till they just restyled the GSXR600/750. Those look sick.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think the tail of the new R1 is absolutely amazing... and since that's the only part of the bike anyone will see anyhow......

I wonder what Leo Vince has in store for us

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
My total SWAG answer to your question would be that it's probably because until the I4 engines started making the absolutely crazy power that they have in the last few years, the characteristics of the power delivery weren't that important.

Also, in the article RD350 linked it mentions the uneven power pulses could cause reliability issues.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
interesting, because a few years ago when I knew nothing about engines I assumed that all I4's fired like this anyways. It just makes more sense to me?

·
Registered
717 Posts
My opinion: Just another thing for squids to brag about even though less than 1% of R1 riders will actually experience any benefit from this crossplane crank technology.

I do secretly wish that I will ever be skilled and brave enough to make use of a literbike.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's a really cool idea I think. And as far as why no one has built it this way, I think it's notably because uneven crank firing puts more stress on the crank so you need higher quality materials. Also because it's uneven it requires counterbalancers that drag down on horsepower...and as someone mentioned about squids loving the literbikes...they also like horsepower...because that's a number that says my #### is bigger than yours. And of course that blanked out thing was just horsepower at the wheel...yeah...that's what I meant. That's the thing though, I love the idea because it makes huge amounts of power sort of vaguelly tractable, but it decreases overall horsepower, so I really wonder how the squid or people with more money than I have that only look at WHP numbers, will accept it. I think 'cause it's nifty gadgetry it may get accepted. We can only hope because it seems like such a great idea to have USABLE power instead of just power...Now I'd still like to see a rotary (okay the Suzuki RE-5 and that Norton...maybe a few others) and I'd love to see a quasi-turbine engined bike. I mean those should have very even pulses...I would think at least.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts