Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This winter I decided to take on a big project. Last season was my first time doing track days and for my first 5 days I used a 2006 SV650 but sold that and bought a 2003 SV1000 for my last two track days. The experience left me feeling like I was allowing some bad straight away habits enter my game with the added power.

This build is partially due to my chronic scanning of eBay and craigslist even if there is nothing I need. The other rationale was to have a small twin that would still force me to carry a lot of speed into turns and exit ASAP which years from now I will appreciate. The final part of my rationalization was I had a lot of spare parts sitting around. I may decide to sell it next year and just run with the SV1k but at worst I can have friends come ride track with me next season and have no excuses!

Parts I already had:

Good 04/05 GSXR forks which needed seals and an oil change
04/05 GSXR front axle (well I had two lol)
04/05 GSXR steering damper
Stock fairing stay
Front 2003 GSXR 750 wheel with rotors
Rear 2006 SV650 wheel
TL1000 Clip-ons
04/05 master cylinder and levers
2003 GSXR 750 rear shock
2003 GSXR 750 Track Fairings

Parts I had to buy (with price I paid shipped):

K9 (California) Engine, Subframe, Wire Harness, Air Box, Throttle Bodies (22k miles) $640
Jardine 3/4 full Exhaust $120
K9 Frame (Salvage Title from PA) $135
OEM Frame Sliders $20
Vortex Rear Sets and GSXR Rear M/C $62
Battery $34
Temp Sensor $6
Tires $50 (Bought local used - not eBay :( )
Exhaust Hanger $13
Swing Arm Spools - Bar Ends $23
Seat $1 (Yes a guy on eBay had a seat with no wrap or cushion listed for $1 shipped!)
Chain and Master Clip $25
Fork Seals $22
Rad Hose $10
Grips $18
Fork Oil $16
Rear Caliper $17
01/02 Radiator/Clutch Cable/Coolant Bottle $33
Tank $110
Lock Set $25
Rear axle/adjuster $22
04/05 GSXR Top Triple/Bottom Triple $71
Swing Arm $38
GSXR Damper Mount and Caliper Bolts $42
Radiator Fan $25

Not counting the parts I already had I am somewhere in the $1,500 spent area. Now for the pics. And spoiler alert, I have my GoPro running on time lapse for the whole build.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Parts I had to buy (with price I paid shipped):

K9 (California) Engine, Subframe, Wire Harness, Air Box, Throttle Bodies (22k miles) $640
Jardine 3/4 full Exhaust $120
K9 Frame (Salvage Title from PA) $135
OEM Frame Sliders $20
Rear Sets and Rear M/C $62
Battery $34
Temp Sensor $6
Tires $50 (Bought local used - not eBay )
Exhaust Hanger $13
Swing Arm Spools - Bar Ends $23
Seat $1 (Yes a guy on eBay had a seat with no wrap or cushion listed for $1 shipped!)
Chain and Master Clip $25
Fork Seals $22
Rad Hose $10
Grips $18
Fork Oil $16
Rear Caliper $17
01/02 Radiator/Clutch Cable/Coolant Bottle $33
Tank $110
Lock Set $25
Rear axle/adjuster $22
04/05 GSXR Top Triple/Bottom Triple $71
Swing Arm $38
GSXR Damper Mount and Caliper Bolts $42
Radiator Fan $25
Looks like you've been a smart shopper. It's almost as if you're an accountant... :)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks like you've been a smart shopper. It's almost as if you're an accountant... :)
Random - Dude did you see the groupon for New York Safety Track?

My favorite find was the seat. Lots of deals on eBay but I end up surrendering on some items for example I ended up paying about the same for a radiator as I did for a radiator fan lol.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the lock set I eBayed:

you will notice that there is no wiring harness coming off the back of the ignition lock...a tactical purchase on my part as I have a 04/05 GSXR 750 ignition lock (with no key) ready to go. I never knew about this until some recent experimentation but you can swap out tumblers from system to system. So I basically did just that, popped the sv lock internals into the gsxr housing. After that I found a male plug from a donor wiring harness that fit the green connector of health. Double checked the wiring diagrams and BOOM.

Then I went to install the throttle cables but soon realized my k6 right hand controls were designed to be the throttle tube and I had a separate throttle housing. As I didn't have the room for the brake and everything else I decided to use some gsxr throttle cables and the gsxr two in one housing which I had almost all the hardware for - just had to swap over the electronics. I opened up the sv unit just to see what each wire did.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
MOTORADOR
10,990 Posts
Subscribed!

This sounds like lots of fun :)

·
MOTORADOR
10,990 Posts
I would be happy to send extra parts your way for the frankenbuild but it's basically all 2nd gen besides my GSXR stuff...

Don't worry, you have fun with your project :eek:ccasion14:

I almost have everything I need for the FrankenBike :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey m8! Since you're using USD forks, would you sell the stock sv650 upper triple for a few bucks? I need it for my project. Cheers!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After getting the GSXR controls wired up I decided to mount the gauges and check for error codes. Well I got four codes - three of them (C13,C21, and C49) were all caused by the fact that the air box was removed. The one that bothered me was related to the security resister - after some multimeter time and some searching I realized that the GSXR ignition wires were not going to work as is. I don't want to throw out too much information for potential scum to find on this for obvious reasons but at the end of the day I bought a keyless sv650 ignition lock for $10 on eBay which will fix my problem (versus messing with the GSXR wires).

Got my very nice 2005 SV1000 tank installed (paid $110 shipped). Best part about this buy is that IT CAME WITH THE FUEL PUMP! Although I did have to drill out the old gas cap and install my matching one but that was pretty easy.

I got the Jardine C3 semi full exhaust system this week and got that beauty mounted up. I think this was one of my best deals. It has some flaws but overall for $120 shipped on a basically full exhaust I am happy!

Other things completed include white swing arm spools, rear axle and spacers, steering damper mount (THANKS NUCULAR - this is my fourth kit from you!), fairing stay, and the wiring harness mounted in the subframe.

Here are the update pics! Starting to look like a beast track bike!!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ok so I am having lots of problems with the ignition switch.....no matter how I wire the GSXR switch i am getting the C42 error code. AND the 1st gen ignition lock that I bought didn't work with the 2nd gen lock tumbler so....back to the GSXR ignition... I even wired in my own RadioShack resistor (100 ohms 1/2 watt 5%) from the brown wire to the security wire terminal and I am still getting the code....a borderline waste of an ENTIRE Saturday.

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu1/TeeRiver/sv650ignitionswitchbypass.jpg?t=1250408157

Anyone out there with a 2nd Gen ignition lock I can buy? Especially if you dont have the key - I dont need it...

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have one that I will be removing from my track bike. PM if you want. Out of interest, why don't you just go keyless?
well I have thought about going keyless. I even have a vortex gas cap if I go that route. the two main reasons for wanting the key are that the bike has a salvage but rebuildable title and if I sell it having keys helps the value - and I got that sweet deal on eBay for the lock set and if I go keyless that's a wasted purchase.

what I don't understand is I wired the switch just like the thread above showed and I still get c42. I measured the resistance across the orange and the brown wires and was getting 98 ohms - is there a reason it wouldn't be exactly 100? should it be exactly 100?

I'm all for trying to use the parts I have but last night was a kind of break down point for me with wiring and rewiring the ignition switch - that why I figured just get a 2nd gen switch and be done with it...

·
Registered
254 Posts
That is a done deal if you want the ignition lock. I still need a gas cap. Will send you a PM.

The 98 Ohms is fine. All resistors have a tolerance, yours is probably a 5% part, which means the resistance could be +- up to 5R depending on many factors, including production variation.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Neutral update......on the positive I was able to barter a vortex gas cap for a functional ignition switch (thank you drewnabobber) and my fuel pump now comes on as normal. On the negative side my gopro messed up and I lost all of my images.....really bummed about that. Also, despite three space heaters I was unable to get my garage very warm which made my fingers cold and the wiring harness very hard to work with.....next update will be more complete and uplifting!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts