Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'll never forget sitting on the decaying bench seats in Turn 3 at the "Fastest Road in the West" (Willow Springs) years ago one Sunday afternoon to soak in some high-desert sun and good grass-roots club racing. An unfamiliar looking and sounding bike was piloted with adroitness through what's called the Omega.

Leaning against the chain-link fence to get as close a look as possible on the next go 'round, I sheepishly asked a fellow race-watcher what bike was making that distinctly-Twin exhaust note. "That's the new V-Twin from Suzuki," said the motorcycle racing fan. My jaw fell open in mild astonishment. I'd only recently heard of the new bike, and was quite certain I hadn't seen any in dealers yet, and here some die-hard enthusiast was already racing the thing. And so began American riders' love affair with the Suzuki SV650.

The first major update to the SV – and the partially-faired SV650S model introduced in 2000 – arrived in '03 and included fuel-injection, a new beefy square-tube truss frame and marginal increases in power and torque. In 2007 the fully naked SV was dropped, as Suzuki perceived performance characteristics between the SV and S to be too close. That same year optional ABS was available for the S model, and in '08 it went fully-faired as the SV650SF.

Only two years later and Suzuki has come up with a solution to fill the gap left by the standard SV's departure: the 2009 Gladius.

More: 2009 Suzuki Gladius Review on Motorcycle.com

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks for posting that review; finding info on road testing has been difficult.

I'm just glad I was able to get mine before all the positive reviews come out. Also, I have to say, ALL the info, brochures, websites, etc. keep showing the blue and white model; I have the black and it really looks sharp, helps the tail pipe from looking so frumpy; the paint has this deep blue metal flake that you can only see when there is full sun.

I think, for anyone seriously in the market for this type of bike, it is a different animal in person and will win over some of the naysayers.

·
Registered
712 Posts
2008 SV650 You know what you're looking for in a standard V-twin machine: light and agile handling, along with willing-and-able engine performance. And that's what the Suzuki SV650 delivers — in spades. The Suzuki SV650 offers its own unique styling and performance. Compared to the SV650S, it has a leaner profile, featuring a single round headlight, tubular handlebars and a more upright riding position.

One ride on the SV650 and you'll be hooked. It combines crisp, lightweight handling with all-day riding comfort. And the thrills really begin when you tap into its exceptional engine performance. Its fuel-injected V-twin powerplant offers crisp throttle response, strong torque and a stunningly wide powerband.

So get on a new 2007Suzuki SV650 — and enjoy a ride you’ll never forget.
If you notice at the beginning it says, 2008 SV650 but then it says,

So get on a new 2007Suzuki SV650 — and enjoy a ride you’ll never forget.
hmmmm.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This might not be the place for it ... But i'll shoot anyway.
I must say i do like the wheels. Thoughts on the swap out to an 08 SV? Think it will be a simple swap?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
When shoping, I thought I had nailed down a 2008 naked ABS SV, but the dealership sold while I was accumulating dollars to pay for it and Suzuki took all their bikes away while the new owner recertified. The next dealer could only find an S on the east coast (with ABS), so the 2008S was what I bought.
Barry

·
Registered
5 Posts
looks sharp, but thought i read its heavy?
The Gladius is marginally heavier than the sv650n aboat 1-2kgs i think. Suzuki have just started quoting their bikes weight as curb mass/weight which includes all fluids. Previously, suzuki's marketing (i.e. sv650) used dry weights which is just the bike weight only.

Gladius Curb weight - 202kg/446lbs
SV650n Dry weight - 167kg/370lbs

The sv650n curb weight is around 199-200kgs.

Not a huge difference.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts