Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Since I can never seem to leave well enough alone, here's the quick summary of this year's significant mods.

First up, I had the master work his magic on my forks again ('02 GSXR 750 legs in SRAD triples), but this time he did something special: he installed '04-05 GSXR 600/750 knuckles so I could run the R6 radial brakes. ;D Now, my brakes consist of an R6 master cylinder, galfer lines, R6 calipers, and freakin super-duper awesome Alth rotors. Wasn't really a fan of the blue baskets on the rotors, but it has grown on me. I need to order a black pazzo lever to match my clutch side now, but the stocker works just fine for now.

I still need to figure out a good mount for the reservoir, but for now it's zip-tied - lol. You can also see my new Swatt 2.5" rise clip-ons in this pic:

As for the speedo, I was running Jim's kit on the front wheel of my bike with the stock rotors I just replaced with the Alths. Jim's kit was nice, but it was rather unsightly and only worked with stock rotors up front. Since I now have aftermarket rotors, I couldn't run the same magnets I did before. So I thought, why not run it on the back wheel? After looking into it, I figured it would work, but I needed to find the right parts.

I can't say it was cheap (because of the speedohealer), but it works awesome. No adjustments (once set up properly --- I got it functional on the first try), no removal and re-installation when I pull the wheel off, and because of the speedohealer---dead nuts accurate. It's very subtle and protected, too.

Mounted the speedohealer in the trunk:

Hall Effect Sensor mounted to the rear brake caliper bracket (the spacers are white nylon, so I took a sharpie to it....poorly. I'll probably replace with aluminum spacers at some point, but they'll probably need to be custom made by someone):

Ran the sensor wires with the brake line:

Proximity to the rotor bolts (where I have one magnet mounted)

Found some 6mm OD x 3mm tall neodymium magnets on ebay from the UK. The bolts are steel, so the magnet sticks right in the hole and stays there until I pull it out with another neodymium magnet...no glue, epoxy, or anything:

As it turns out, the hardest part of the whole install was extending the leads on the speedohealer's harness. they only give you about 3" of a pigtail for both sides of the stock speedo hookup. The stock plugs are in the headlight bucket, so I needed to bust out the soldering iron and essentially make my own harness, using the plugs that came with the kit. No big deal, just time-consuming. With only one magnet, and the stock settings, if I was doing 80 mph, the speedo would read 19 mph. I think my settings are off slightly, causing my speed to read a little higher than reality. I'll bust out the GPS and get it set properly in the next week or so, but for now it's close enough.

There's a couple more things I plan on adding this year, but figured since I had the time today, I'd post up some pics.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
.........freakin.......................sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.....

:rock:​

·
Registered
290 Posts
IMO, these are the types of mods that should get you nominated for SV of the month...I really like the rotors and changing out the bottom of the forks is very creative.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
berry noice, Keefer. :D

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I just got a set of the 3.5" rise Swatts, and was wondering what I was going to do with the brake reservoir... Zip ties look like the proper solution.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention something my good buddy wacky_woodchuck figured out. When using the SRAD triples, you need to use the SRAD axle and wheel as well. Unfortunately, the SRAD axles are getting fairly rare and hard to find, especially those that are in good shape. With them becoming more rare every day, and due to the fact the 27mm hex head looks old-school these days, wacky did some sleuthing...

A part number search revealed that the Hayabusa used the same wheels from 99-07 (well known fact), and that the axle changed from an 'external hex' style to an 'internal hex' style in 2002 or 2003. A little more searching showed that the forks didn't change, other than a switch to radial knuckles in '03. So if neither the wheel or the forks changed, one could assume (correctly) that the axle would have the same dimensions. As it turns out, the later year hayabusa axles (up to '07) are a direct replacement for the SRAD axles, and have the internal hex that is much more modern-looking. They're also quite plentiful, since there are a lot of busa riders that swap them out for something more blingy.

So, anybody looking to use SRAD triples can use an '03-07 hayabusa axle instead of trying to track down an SRAD axle in good shape. Again, thanks to wacky for this, as he did all the research. ;D

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I like what you did with the front end, I never liked the gold/black color of the new radial gsxr forks with a silver frame.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Very cool. Is there any way you could provide a more in-depth write-up of what exactly you had to do for your speedo setup? :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts