Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So there are two almost identical SV650SFs in my area that I am interested in. Same dark blue color and everything. I plan on taking them to the dealership to get a pre-sale evaluation for like $45, but I want to make sure they are not overcharging for the bikes. Both are from a private seller and listed at $4600!

Is this too much?

Bike #1 - Laid down on left and on right side at no speed. Minor cosmetic damage is all I see. No rust. < 8000 miles, bought used from dealership. Have not ridden.

Bike #2 - Laid down on right side going ~7mph. Bend rear brake, small fairing crack. 12500 miles on it. Bought it brand new from dealership. Took for quick test ride. Everything seems smooth and to be working, but I can't tell if it is drifting right a little bit...

Hopefully a post like this isn't against the rules. I really appreciate any advice anyone can give me!

I should add too that I live in the Seattle,WA,USA area. I know pricing probably varies greatly from state to state, country to country!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am not too familiar with the area and what bikes typically go for around there, you may have better luck asking this in the regional forum for out there. But myself being in NYC where bikes are pretty expensive as they are, that seems quite a bit high for 2 bikes that have been laid down and have some damage, especially the one you think may have a drift which could be from a tweaked frame potentially. Like I said, it seems to me like they are a bit over priced, but I don't know the local market, and they may fall right in line with that. Also, what years are these, and look up the KBB & NADA on them, that will definitely help figure out where they should be for your area

Edit, Reread the title and realized they are '08s

·
Registered
71 Posts
Doesn't sound to bad but could go lower... I paid 5000 for a 2009 SF with 30 miles that had been laid down on one side at no speed.. only minor cosmetic damage.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah IMO price is too high as well.

I tried to avoid anything that was down. Paid 4000 for a 2008 dark blue naked in NY area with ~2500 miles last year. Was in great shape, bone stock except for dope yoshi slip on. NY is expensive so I would think for s model you should be looking definitely < 4k and probably more around 3-3.5 k in your area unless it's in great shape with super low miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the advice! I tried using searchtempest before and it seems to just come up with posts that don't exist. I have been searching individual craigslist in the state and none of the actual listings from those sites come up when I use searchtempest (something to keep in mind for people who are reading this).

Bike #1 said he was pretty firm at 4600, but would do 4500.
Bike #2 which I actually went and saw first, said he'd be willing to negotiate the price.
But from what you guys are saying, they are wayyy out of the ballpark.

I also have been debating on a CBR600RR instead. I've found a sweet 06 CBR with 8500 miles for $5000obo. Almost sounds too good to be true though.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yes, that would be a bit much to pay. For reference, I bought a 2008 SF that had 11k miles on it for $3,500 two years ago.

Either keep looking or hang on until late summer/early fall - people usually are in a hurry to sell at that point and you can get a good price.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree to high. I paid $3100 late last year for my 8k sf with 11k miles and some low speed cosmetic damage (bar ends bent, mirrors scuffed and some decent scratches on the lower fairings tiny bit of rash on upper and tail but no cracks). Did need new tires oil and coolant but that's it. Bikes are a bit over priced where I am since there are not a ton of riders.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Last year a local dealer had like nine '09 SV650S's (don't think they were 'F''s) NEW selling for $4999. Admittedly this was a super great price, but kind of makes the bikes you are looking at look pretty pricey especially considering the damage. If they were both pristine....maybe. But consider what they'd cost to fix, and add that to the asking price. WAY too much I'd think. But good idea to look for a 650! Also, don't overlook an SV1K if you find a good one for a good price. Most excellent bike.:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree too high ;) I have picked up Sv's for under $1500 with only 10k COSMETIC damage only. Honestly you could find them in the ranges of what everyone else is saying here. my opinion is, if its been dropped and they want $4,600 for it without perfect plastic or a decent repaint pass it up. Unless its got all the mods done to it already so you don't have to spend the extra $ to do so yourself/fixing it broken peices. Check out your local auctions as well. I've seen guys walk away with bikes for $500 and all it needs is a battery, or new tires. Police, insurance, repo, salvage yard auctions are your friend.

To each their own though, I like to buy to fix its a hobby. i like a good bargain you might not. just think this way, there is always someone willing to sell for less. just have to wait for the right deal to come along.

·
Registered
109 Posts
People love to add the summer tax during this months. Anywhere from 10% to 25% to NADA retail. Lots of times there's the ignorant tax, greedy tax, lien tax and I-Want-A-REAL-V-TWIN Harley tax. God help you if you hit all of them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
People love to add the summer tax during this months. Anywhere from 10% to 25% to NADA retail. Lots of times there's the ignorant tax, greedy tax, lien tax and I-Want-A-REAL-V-TWIN Harley tax. God help you if you hit all of them.
Lol love it.. explains all the 10 year old ninja 250's around here being listed for 4k.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My cousin is duly guilty of this! A couple of years ago, he sold his 11 month old Ninja 250 with less than 1k miles for $4k. He justified it because it had upgraded "racing" tires that provided more grip and safety than the original pizza cutter tires.

Anyway, it goes to say that it pays to be an informed buyer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts