Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna preface this with I had my tank painted a week ago and I cleaned out the fuel filter. I know I put it back together correctly because I went riding the day I put everything back together.

Ok.

This morning my bike wouldn't start. Turned over fine, all the checks were good and it's code c00 when I put it in dealer mode. I got it to stutter start with starter fluid so air and spark are fine. While I was turning it over it smelled heavily of gas, and when I pulled the gas hose off the tank.... gas started pouring out.

This is clearly an issue with the pump, but is it just worth getting a new knock off ebay pump, or ripping the 12 year old pump down and trying to find the fault? What part even is it that keeps the gas from coming out without it being active?

Thanks for the help in advance guys (and gals)

- Brendan

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
Gas leaking from the fuel pump outlet means the fuel pump check-valve is stuck open, but that will not keep the bike from running.

Does the pump run when the key is turned on?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pump is pulled out of the bike (getting good at this now)

With the pump in hand (literally) and turning the key I can feel it go "whirrrrr" for about 2 seconds. Fuses are good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I popped a working pump into the tank, still primes. Bike starts right up with starter fluid in the STVs. I need some 3/8 hose to check if the pump is actually sending gas, but I can smell gas in the exhaust. I let it sit for a few minutes a little earlier and it burbled for a second when I tried to start it again. I've hooked it up to my KLRs battery so it's not a battery issue at all.

sigh

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
If you smell gas and it is definitely coming from the tailpipe and not the fuel lines, then it might be flooded. Make sure the plugs aren't soaked in fuel and try starting it with the throttle held open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts