Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if you'd describe this as rough, as it doesn't die and it starts fine but I have a hunch that the sound my engine is making isn't normal. This is my first and only experience with the SV (I've only had it for a week) so I don't know what the norm is since I purchased this bike used. The original owner had bought this bike new from a dealership and had only put 6500km on it during the 5 years he had it. Its in excellent cosmetic condition, but I feel like its been neglected mechanically. The chain was rusted and he's probably only changed the oil once or twice.

Anyway, here's the video of what my SV650s sounds like, and if you can hear any irregularities please let me know so I can try to fix it myself ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,945 Posts
Looks good, sounds great, now get out there and ride!!! :vroom:

Congrats on the new bike.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Id start with basics, air filter and spark plugs with an oil change. if that doesnt help roll it into a local shop, let them check the valve adjustment...

It does sound a bit off. not too much though

·
Registered
218 Posts
check oil/chain and brakes and then go for a ride in the twisties.
I think she just needs to stretch her legs.
I commute in the city 6 days a week always under 50km/h rarely in 3rd gear. On saturdays she sounds like that, so I take her for a ride, a full tank at 8000rpm will make her feel better.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Mine gets a little more pronounced lope to it when the throttle bodies need synching again. Nothing too unusual there. At 6500km, you're a hell of a long way from needing to check valves or anything inside the motor, so I'd just change the oil, put a couple ounces of Seafoam in your next tank or two, and give her the ol' Italian tune-up. The oil really should have only been changed a couple times by this point, so it's not like it was really abused. New chains are cheap peace of mind as well, but you should be able to clean up the other one. If no kinks, WD-40, scrub, lube, adjust, and ride.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
It's quite simple to do the adjustment itself, but '07+ models require a Suzuki Diagnostic Computer to lock the ISC valve, unfortunately. My local shop charges one hour to do it on mine, so about $70 here. Few dealers will have a SDS kit, so call around and make sure they have the tool before you head over there.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
6500km? really? and you're all telling him to check plugs, buy a chain, take it to a shop?

it's not hardly broken in yet! the chain may have some surface rust from sitting around; clean and lube it. probably doesn't even need adjustment yet, and the valve adjust interval is 14500 miles.

i'm with tee, ride that sucker.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds good.

I've ordered an M4 exhaust, frame and swing arm sliders, a new chain and sprocket set and an aTRE. I'll probably end up installing the slip on M4, frame and swing arm sliders, and the aTRE. The sprockets still look good and the chain is in decent shape. I've managed to clean off 80% of the rust. Because I ride in the city I might consider doing the TPS mod too. It sounds simple enough and if it really makes riding in rush hour traffic smoother that's something I'll definitely look into.

I'll let you know how everything is once I install these suckers!

Thanks for all your help guys I'll keep you updated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts