Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 sv650s and although top speed for the bike it supposed to be around 145 I cannot reach even 100 mph on it when I got the bike it was wired for race but I have since replaced the wiring harness, the air box, and got a new keyed ignition. The bike accelerated amazingly to 80 mph but after 4-5 gear it starts losing its umph and 85 it about all it has got. I've tried playing around with the throttle bodys set screws recently and the butterfly's do not open at the exact same time. A buddy of mine thinks I may be running on one cylinder? Opinions? Also I want to wheelie and it's just not possible with whatever issue I'm having here I can't even clutch up in first gear higher than a foot.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi and welcome. Does the bike have 2 spark plugs per cylinder (one central, one on the side) or just a single central plug? If the latter, those have a simpler injection system that's easier to work on.

Check the basics first. Clean air filter? Fresh spark plugs? Oil recently changed and the correct level? No disconnected hoses or anything around the throttle bodies and airbox? Does the bike start easily from cold and idle nicely?

If all those check out OK, then move to things like syncing the throttle bodies.

An SV that runs out of steam at the top end is usually a sign of a blocked fuel pump filter or a dying fuel pump that cannot deliver enough fuel to keep up with the engine's demand. Have a search on here for 'cleaning high pressure fuel filter' for a step-by-step guide

If the bike was 'wired for racing' that rings alarm bells for me about the state of the engine, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes is has 2 plugs per cylinder. I have replaced the ignition lock as well as the entire wiring harness the engine seems to be in good shape I believe my problem is the fuel pump also whoever's had this bike directly wired the pump to an accessory wire and the pump doesn't shut off at all once the key is turned. This pump has no connector on it just 4 wires leading off I'll include pictures only two of these wires are connected and I've downloaded the diagrams for the harness and nothing has been able to tell me exactly how connect these wires the pics will take the tale but strange thing is i replaced unoriginal harness because it has melted and I have no connector on the used harness I've installed either? Z

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi and welcome. Does the bike have 2 spark plugs per cylinder (one central, one on the side) or just a single central plug? If the latter, those have a simpler injection system that's easier to work on.

Check the basics first. Clean air filter? Fresh spark plugs? Oil recently changed and the correct level? No disconnected hoses or anything around the throttle bodies and airbox? Does the bike start easily from cold and idle nicely?

If all those check out OK, then move to things like syncing the throttle bodies.

An SV that runs out of steam at the top end is usually a sign of a blocked fuel pump filter or a dying fuel pump that cannot deliver enough fuel to keep up with the engine's demand. Have a search on here for 'cleaning high pressure fuel filter' for a step-by-step guide

If the bike was 'wired for racing' that rings alarm bells for me about the state of the engine, too.
Yes is has 2 plugs per cylinder. I have replaced the ignition lock as well as the entire wiring harness the engine seems to be in good shape I believe my problem is the fuel pump also whoever's had this bike directly wired the pump to an accessory wire and the pump doesn't shut off at all once the key is turned. This pump has no connector on it just 4 wires leading off I'll include pictures only two of these wires are connected and I've downloaded the diagrams for the harness and nothing has been able to tell me exactly how connect these wires the pics will take the tale but strange thing is i replaced the original harness because it had melted and I have no connector on the used harness I've installed yo replace the damaged one either?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Electrics are not my strong point, I'm afraid. Could be worth looking for a replacement pump, and then try to sort the wiring to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts