Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have read some forms and they explain that with a slip-on exhaust there is no real need for a/f tuner of any kind because the 02 sensor adjusting the ecu. My bike has no o2 sensor (not California model) so do I need to get some kind of tuner? What if I get a k&n? I left in the baffle on my danmoto so I don't lose too much back pressure. Is there an alternative for a pcIII? Cheaper hopefully.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even if I throw a k&n in the mix? I thought these bikes came lean from factory and I made it leaner by adding the slip-on?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
A slip-on isn't going to affect the flow enough to warrant the PC. A full system, however, yes, get a PC.... Yes, they're lean from the factory.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
That could (likely will) result in some rough operation at engine speeds where things go just too far lean to support stable combustion. A retune would be necessary to get things 100% smooth again. I lost any sort of smoothness from idle-5k when I started opening up the intake system (stopped at the baffles, OEM filters are ok for me)

Pretty much, the more flow you give the motor, the more lost the ECU is. The more you change, the closer you come to needing to retune the FI.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have a slip on and k & n and it works just fine, no PC. Now when I put an sv1000 snorkel then I did not like that, lost too much lower end. Could be living at lower altitude might have something to do with that.

Really if you don't have bigger head pipes and an opened air box than you don't need a PC.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a slip on and k & n and it works just fine, no PC. Now when I put an sv1000 snorkel then I did not like that, lost too much lower end. Could be living at lower altitude might have something to do with that.

Really if you don't have bigger head pipes and an opened air box than you don't need a PC.
so i put in the k&n and so far no adverse effects. but now i am thinking of desnorkeling and taking out the baffle in which case from what it sounds like i would need to get a PC and tune yeah? Also i am in suburbs of Chicago at about 600-1000 ft above sea level. if that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts