Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the wall of text but i could really use some advice.

A while back I went on a road trip and ended up have to get new tires. About 600 miles later there was a clacking noise and I took my wheel off and found the rear wheel bearings were going bad. I replaced them with the kit from all balls but I'm pretty sure I over torqued the axel nut as I didn't have my torque wrench and put them in hastily...the bearing on the brake side went bad after a 70 mile ride. Ordered another set and replaced them again much more carefully and used a torque wrench. The bearings went bad again in about 30 miles this time the rear wheel had a bad wobble. I took it to the shop and told them what had happened. They replaced them with oem bearings and when I said that I had just replaced them they said, " we'll it's running fine now."

I've driven it around 15-20 miles and it seems ok but I have a gut feeling it's going to fail again. I've asked some of my friends who ride and none of them had any ideas. I don't have to much faith in the shop that I took it too.

Anyone ever experience something like this? What else could it be other than the bearings? I don't know how I could have messed up the install so bad that it would have failed within 30 miles. The bike has around 10200 miles on it.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
A bearing can go bad at any time, even brand new and of high quality. How did you install the bearings? Did you heat the wheel and chill the bearings to drop in or use a hammer and a drift? Or, where they pressed in? You can install a bearing and think it went in okay, but the bearing can be deformed if not pressed in uniformly around its circumference. If the oem bearings go, then maybe the wheel hub races are damaged in some way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, but it was because of a missing spacer on the rear axle.

Somewhere along the line of taking the rear wheel off to get new rubber, one of the spacers dropped off somewhere and was missing.

Bearings went out within 20-30 miles for me with this missing spacer. Luckily I found it, had new bearings put in and never had the problem again.

Moral of my story, always put what you take off the motorcycle "together" somewhere safe so when you are putting it back together, chances are you have all the pieces.

A repair manual or fiche should also be mandatory.

HTH

Edit....New lurker record here? Member since 2006 and my first post! Sheesh!

·
Super Moderator
8,945 Posts
... it was because of a missing spacer on the rear axle.
^^^ This.

If the bearing spacer is missing (#2 below, sorry for the huge image), then tightening the axle puts major lateral (sideways) force on the bearings and they will fry in no time.

The Right side bearing should be installed first and registers wheel position when fully seated. The Left side bearing should not be seated fully, and requires a bearing installer tool to obtain the proper clearance. The installer tool pushes on the inner and outer races equally. The clearance shown in the diagram is what is left when the inner races bottom out against the bearing spacer; it is not directly measured. After setting the bearings, check for smooth rotation and no spacer play before reinstalling the wheel.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Someone somewhere also had a similar issue due to the aforementioned spacer being crushed by over-torque and no long doing its' job properly. New bearings should NOT fail in 20-30 miles...obviously. Something is very, very wrong. And missing something can be hard to spot even for a 'professional'. Many mechanics will just put back in what came out, and if something was missing they might NOT have noticed.

If it were me, the wheel would come back off and checked to make sure all the bits in the above diagram were there and installed in the proper places.

Edit: Wasn't there a typo in the manual saying 725 ft/lb's rather than 72.5 on the axle nut? If so....maybe they actually tried to do this? 'Hey Herb, that nut has to be MONGO tight, man!'

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
It's not # 2 that gets lost with a tire change, but #15. It comes out easily and can be overlooked on reassembly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
^^This

It was #15 for me.

Oh, and IMHO this motorcycle should NOT be ridden until this issue is resolved. This could lead to a potentially very bad incident for the OP.

·
Super Moderator
8,945 Posts
It's not # 2 that gets lost with a tire change, but #15.
Oops, you are right, bigH. #15 is the likely culprit. #2 will cause it too, but can't be the issue since that spacer is captive during a tire change.

I've seen wheel bearings fail when the inner spacer (inside the hub) is missing. Leave out any of the spacers and the bearings burn up pronto.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
i had a similar issue a while back. turned out the left side of the hub was damaged and the bearing would not seat securely. i don't know how it happened, best guess is a flaw in the casting or the bearing not properly seated from the factory and over time it was a weak spot which failed.
luckily a friend had a spare wheel which i got cheap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just registered to say this happened to me recently. First one rear bearing broke on highway at 80+ mph, scary moment. Managed to limp it to a nearby random bike shop. Had to leave it there until they ordered a new bearing.. went back picked it up and rode home relieved.
The very next ride was on a track day, and the bearing broke right on the second sighting lap. Rolled to a shop at the track, and the guy pulling it apart said something along the lines "i hate to see something that has been worked on by drug addicts". #15 on the pic was missing, and the new bearing was not properly seated either. He machined a new retainer on the spot and got me going again.

Im wondering if i should re-order two new OEM bearings, the #2 spacer and #15 and have it reassembled once again to be super sure, as i think the half-lap riding with one wobbly bearing might have damaged the other, and i'm not too sure about the "custom" spacer there either. Looking at the picture, i'm not sure all dust seals were in place too.

BTW, http://www.edubs.net/bikestuff/sv650/sv650_2003_ServiceManual/7_Chassis.pdf
page 42, shows a bit different numbers for these parts, and the OEM part numbers seem to be 09180-17067 for the spacer in the middle and 64733-34000 for the retainer

( http://www.edubs.net/bikestuff/sv650/sv650PartsFiche.pdf page 62 )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts