Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

2006 SV650 Rear seat cowl

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  oldtlsdoug 
#1 ·
Curious if anyone has a 2nd gen Blue rear seat cowl/cover for the naked bikes... think they're the same as the S.

I see amazon and ebay have some but I know the color will be off, I'm fine buying second hand even if it's a bit worn.

Don't mind my torn ass seats.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey schlub123,

unfortunatly I don't have a rear cowl for you, but I do have some information for you.
The Sv650-N and -S model use the same rear cowl. The ebay/ knockoff do not (perfectly) match up with the original YC2 paint.
try and find a real second hand or let it be paint matched.

Goodluck!

Kind regards,
Luke

#3 ·
Thanks kindly for the quick response and low down on what to expect...

I think I found an oem one but has a good amount of gouges and scratches.... but I think I'll still do it for the sake its the same color and fitment should be better.

Thanks!!

#12 ·
Does anyone know the paint code for the 2006 SV650 naked - Blue?

A quick search pulls up YHJ - Candy Napoleon Blue just wanting to confirm
YHJ is what it looks like it should be. Before committing to getting the beat up one and getting it painted...have you priced the paint that would be needed for the job? Seem to remember it being breathtakingly expensive to factory match the paint so the factory painted one might actually be the cheapest and best way to go. Just suggesting you explore all options to their end and not assume anything because these days that can go wrong quickly.

#13 ·
OE paint colors in a spray can with a can of clear as well to properly complete the job run about $45-$55 from most companies. I struggled big time with two different companies trying to match my silver grey OE color, super frustrated, I tried ONE MORE option and that was :

Scratcheshappen.com

They were able to match my oe paint code after the other two companies had both tried 2x with non satisfactory results. The good thing is they stand by their efforts and aside from 1 can i decided to keep they refunded me when the product didn't quite match.

You will need to prep and primer the item so factor in about $25 for a can of (high-build) primer + a cpl sheets of sand paper & given the deeper scratches,.maybe a little spot putty to fil them..? all avail. at a decent pep boys for the most part..

Remember paint fades over time so getting the freshly painted cowl to perfectly match the rest of the body work may not be possible but if the paint is a good match you'll be so close only the most anal of owners should notice or complain.

Finally,... prep is critical... take your time, make sure you run thru the proper grades of sand paper probably something like 320 to start removing old paint, deeper scratches, then progress thru 400 / 600 / I give it one final coat of the hi build primer after 600, & then wet sand smooth with the 800 and you should be ready for paint. I use a firm block or sanding pad to help produce a clean smooth 'flat' surface vs bare hand sanding & I also use a " prep spray" which is a little like super thin clear primer as a final coat before I shoot paint... the 'prep spray" may not be necessary...I've had good results so I keep using what I have.

good luck! i'm about to shoot two rr cowls...1 ebay special I bought in black, the other is the OE type one i painted with the 1st batch of OE paint that was not a good match so its getting prepped to be reshot this week.