Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I just bought a 2006 sv650 off my brother. It's still completely bone stock. I don't want to spend much money on this bike but there are a few things that I want to do to it.

First of all, I'm going to look for a new exhaust system. I'm just going to try to find something used. Is there much difference in power between a full system and a can only?

What about getting a Power Commander? With a full system, I'm sure it's worth the money.

I'd like to get a ZX10 rear shock installed as well.

I also want to look into doing something to make the forks a bit better? I've heard that a racetech kit does a good job. Any other suggestions?

What else should I be looking at for mods? I don't want to spend more than $1200 or so on mods really. I just want to make the bike a bit more rideable. Getting the suspension a bit better is my first concern. My R6 was stolen and this bike was available at a great price. I really like the bike so far but I need to make it handle better.

With properly set up suspension and good tires, I could see this thing dragging pegs all over town. It's quite a flickable little bike with a great power curve.

S

·
0 Posts
If budget is your main concern, then just chop the factory muffler can. I chopped about 10" off mine, and the sound is great. Looks better, too. Didn't cost me a cent. A full system with a Power Commander will run you 800 bucks or more.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=63279

A new rear shock will be cheap enough, and Race Tech springs & emulator valves for the stock forks will make a big improvement for just a few hundred. With the leftover cash from your $1,200 budget, invest in quality riding gear.

If your main concern is more power and speed, then sell the SV and buy a GSX-R. A modern GSX-R will also have the suspension you're after. But everyone here knows that the SV makes you look way more cool than a GSX-R any day... O0

·
Banned
3,813 Posts
I would recommend suspension, suspension, suspension. Racetech emulators and springs fitted for your weight.

Racetech Inc 2006 SV650 spring rate search

I would recommend a 2004-2005 GSXR 600 rear shock instead of the ZX10R rear shock.

GSXR 600 has a Showa 46mm with a 7.6 kg/mm spring
ZX10R has a KYB 40mm shock with a 10.0 kg/mm spring

The showa is a better shock, has more travel, and a lighter spring (The SV is a light bike does not need a 10.0 kg/mm shock unless you weight)

Your suspension will make your bike handle like a hot knife on butter. You are going to glide on corners with a stability, cornering is going to feel as confortable as going straight. This will bust your confidence and in turn you will become a faster rider.

As far as the exhaust, The idea of an aftermarket system is to help the engine breath easier. If you do the slip on you are freeing the air out a little. It helps some, but I think it is for the bling factor...

If you do a full exhaust, you are doing 1/3 of the job. The other 1/3 is the Power Comander USBIII, and the last 1/3 is a high flow air filter. That is the complete upgrade. Air flows in unrestricted, nice n easy. Ading the right amount of fuel to air mixture for optimum power. And flowing the burn gasses out of there fast while still providing back presure for maximum torque.

I came down from a Yamaha R1... After a while I thought about upgrading from the SV... But why??? The SV is fun to ride fast. And when you pass a faster bike on the corners... :) Well that makes you feel pretty darn good!!!

Luis

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just did a full Leo Vince exhaust and now it has more power, and the power is so much smoother and it doesn't feel jerky with on off throttle anymore. I took the baffle out and then I thought it was too loud so I cut about an inch or so off of the baffle and put it back in and now it's perfect. I still need to get a power commander but that won't be for a while but it runs good.

Brian

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Motosliders, and suspension bits (proper springs/oil up front, and a PROPER shock for the rear)
That should eat up your $1200 budget.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a leo vince pipe on mine too.... i bought the bike from my boyfriend who put a the slip on for me, and intergrated taillights and that got rid of the bulkiness in the back ((very clean looking))

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I just bought a 2006 sv650 off my brother. It's still completely bone stock. I don't want to spend much money on this bike but there are a few things that I want to do to it.

First of all, I'm going to look for a new exhaust system. I'm just going to try to find something used. Is there much difference in power between a full system and a can only?

What about getting a Power Commander? With a full system, I'm sure it's worth the money.

I'd like to get a ZX10 rear shock installed as well.

I also want to look into doing something to make the forks a bit better? I've heard that a racetech kit does a good job. Any other suggestions?

What else should I be looking at for mods? I don't want to spend more than $1200 or so on mods really. I just want to make the bike a bit more rideable. Getting the suspension a bit better is my first concern. My R6 was stolen and this bike was available at a great price. I really like the bike so far but I need to make it handle better.

With properly set up suspension and good tires, I could see this thing dragging pegs all over town. It's quite a flickable little bike with a great power curve.
Click the link in my signature for ideas if you so desire.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
VFR single sided swing arm.

why you ask?

becuase I have never seen one on a second gen. :p
Yeah do what he says, then let me know if I should bother.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Suspension (Sonic Springs and Racetech Gold Valve Emulators in the front with better shock in the rear), tires, frame sliders, throttle position sensor adjustment, timing retardation mod (if you mess with the exhaust).

·
Registered
9 Posts
If cheap thrust is your thing: +2 Teeth on the rear sprocket makes a difference you can feel (without too much vibration on the highway though it requires changing the chain). +3 in the rear is rather buzzy on the highway (quite entertaining for basic riding) and provides even more off the line grunt if you're into that.

·
MOTORADOR
10,797 Posts
Suspension (Sonic Springs and Racetech Gold Valve Emulators in the front with better shock in the rear), tires, frame sliders, throttle position sensor adjustment, timing retardation mod (if you mess with the exhaust).
This. Anything else is bling.

Also consider buying quality gear for yourself (if you don't have it already) and spending some money taking good riding courses, regardless of your current riding experience. There's ALWAYS something new to learn and that new thing may be the one that saves your life tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Suspension. Marginal power improvements beyond a properly tuned stock engine won't make you any faster. Track day instruction and bringing the price point suspension up to the same (very high) design level of this motorcycle will. I found a used Ohlins shock on ebay, and bought a pair of stock forks modified by Zoran/TWF with GSXR cartridges used form another member on the Forum. I spent about a grand, YMMV.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If your main concern is more power and speed, then sell the SV and buy a GSX-R. A modern GSX-R will also have the suspension you're after... O0
This bit is by far the best advice from that above :)

If you do want to improve the SV on a budget then the GSXR rear suspension modification someone mentioned is the cheapest bang for one’s buck (I used a GSXR 750 one, it works fine for £40). Tinkering with the standard front suspension is a bit of a waste of money, apart from changing the oil (which probably needs doing anyway) to 15W, which costs about a tenner and works a bit better.

Exhaust modifications just make one’s bike sound louder (unless one does the whole thing with the engine management and intake). The stock Suzuki bazooka works fine.

If you want to keep the SV (and there is no reason why not) then my advice would be to keep it more or less standard because you will never make it into a R1 for $1200. If you embark on a major modification route we will hear back from you frequently whilst you spend $5000.

Good fortune:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I respectfully disagree with the “buy a GSXR” opinion. I have 4 1000cc bikes. The mods make the sv650s very capable. It is a great handling bike. Mine (2004) has full exhaust and is tuned, and makes 75 hp at the wheel. That still isn’t even half the power of some of my other bikes. But, it makes the SV650 more enjoyable, and one of my favorites. I’ve done race tech springs and gold valves, Ohlins shock purchased used, four pot Nissin front calipers with SVRacing adapters, stainless brake lines, -1/+1 gearing with 520 chain, factory pro shift star, detent roller, and spring which vastly improved the shifting and cured an occasional second gear popping into neutral problem I experienced, and great tires. The bike is night and day, hugely, vastly, incredibly, many smiles per miles (choose your adjective)- better now with these improvements. I bought it with 11000 miles exactly on the ticker, and bought it cheap. All in I have barely over $3000 USD in it. It is street legal, looks pretty stock, and is my track day bike. It’s fun running at a technical track and passing guys on much faster bikes. I have had a fair few discussions with the same guys about it. They can’t believe it isn’t wildly modified, and the look is very stock. I marvel at how good these cheap, slow, little girls’ bikes are. And marvel even more at how great mine is now. It is much more capable than I am. I’ve also done tail tidy, proper turn signals, and LED headlight bulbs (which do very well in my first and second gen sv650s, and are a huge improvement) and I literally giggle every time I ride it. It’s the same thing that makes a car like a Mazda MX5 Miata great, you can drive it hard, and it delivers. I can push my 650 so much harder with the modifications I’ve made, the stock brakes and suspension were to me, quite scary when pushed. Now they are confidence inspiring! I’m about 175 pounds, and the Suspension was way too soft stock and way under dampened- awful I’d say. Now, bike is just about perfect, and i Am always excited to ride it! That is my opinion

·
Registered
178 Posts
I respectfully disagree with the “buy a GSXR” opinion. I have 4 1000cc bikes.
A 2006 SV650 will be worth between £800 and £2000, it seems daft to me to spend more or less the value of the bike on modifying it when a similar aged GSXR 600 with nearly 100HP and much better suspension costs just over £2000.

Well, what do I know... nothing by the looks of it.

PS. Don’t get me wrong, I like SV650s and have a K6.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
A 2006 SV650 will be worth between £800 and £2000, it seems daft to me to spend more or less the value of the bike on modifying it when a similar aged GSXR 600 with nearly 100HP and much better suspension costs just over £2000.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts