Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 SV1000, unfortunately she’s been sitting in the garage for a few years until I was in a position to take the bike with me. The issue is now when I turn the bike on I have a solid FI light but the bike spits out no codes in dealer mode.
I’ve voltage tested the clutch switch the kickstand switch, changed out the battery, flushed all fluids adjusted the TPS, tested the ignition switch, replaced the starter. And done resistance checks on just about everything I can think of, however the bike still won’t start.
If I short across the starter the bike starts up immediately, only cranks over 2-3 times then fires right up then the FI light clears, and putting it into dealer mode spits out no codes while the bike is running. But the second the bike is shut off and you try to turn it back on the FI light comes back in and again the bike won’t start.
Just wanted some extra insight on what else it could be from the community to see if I’m just missing the obvious but I just can’t figure it out.

·
very big dumb
9,053 Posts
does it say FI on the cluster or is it just the red light? because the red light by itself is just indicating lack of oil pressure

if it's actually showing FI on the cluster, you need to pull the codes.
or try bypassing things one at a time (clutch, kickstand, red swtich, starter button, ignition)
could also just be the starter solenoid. or something as dumb as the start button.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there’s no fi on the cluster, just a chec text but that’s what’s so confusing, It doesn’t give me any codes but the chec text comes in without fail every time. Additionally I’ve bypassed all the startup switches besides the kill switch and actual ignition switch so that’s the next step I guess, the starter was just replaced and I can hear the solenoid click when the kill switch is flipped as well as the fuel pump kick on the clutch switch and kickstand switch interlocks are both working and even when I bypassed them anyways the bike still wouldn’t start. Ive looked for loose connections and cleaned out old ones from dirt and dust for continuities sake, I’m doubtful it’s the kill switch since I can hear the solenoid click and the fuel pump prime when I flick it. The headlights dim when I hit the ignition button but nothing else happens, however the check message is always there like I mentioned when the kill switch is off but if I put it into dealer mode, I get nothing out of it. Back to wire biting I suppose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there’s no fi on the cluster, just a chec text but that’s what’s so confusing, It doesn’t give me any codes but the chec text comes in without fail every time. Additionally I’ve bypassed all the startup switches besides the kill switch and actual ignition switch so that’s the next step I guess, the starter was just replaced and I can hear the solenoid click when the kill switch is flipped as well as the fuel pump kick on the clutch switch and kickstand switch interlocks are both working and even when I bypassed them anyways the bike still wouldn’t start. Ive looked for loose connections and cleaned out old ones from dirt and dust for continuities sake, I’m doubtful it’s the kill switch since I can hear the solenoid click and the fuel pump prime when I flick it. The headlights dim when I hit the ignition button but nothing else happens, however the check message is always there like I mentioned when the kill switch is off but if I put it into dealer mode, I get nothing out of it. Back to wire biting I suppose.
Disregard I’m just an idiot, well rather my eyes are getting old. On the contact for the clutch sensor there was some gunk that was keeping the contacting from well….. contacting bike works like a charm now. I would say the e 2 days of electrical troubleshooting was for nothing but it gave me something to do. Thanks though :)

·
very big dumb
9,053 Posts
chec = "bike isn't on so check the red switch etc"
we all see chec every time we ride.
the red light is the oil pressure light at that point.

·
Super Moderator
9,069 Posts
Glad you found the problem.

Judging by how often the clutch switch problem crops up on SVR, hundreds of folks must have been bit over the past 20 years. Many likely end up carting their bike to the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
same thing bit me to. got the bike out keyed it on and nothing. lights would go out but no crank. i could hear the clutch switch clicking. rode the bike the day before. wtf. sv will not start without the clutch pulled. 1st thing i did was pull the two terminals off the clutch switch (easy to get to) put a paper clip between them. started right up. i now keep a paper clip in with the tool kit. btw i replaced the clutch switch with oem part

·
very big dumb
9,053 Posts
Glad you found the problem.

Judging by how often the clutch switch problem crops up on SVR, hundreds of folks must have been bit over the past 20 years. Many likely end up carting their bike to the dealer.
thats why i started making these vids. so we can stop answering the same question over and over

1 - 8 of 8 Posts