Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the weather is good, I am thinking about going to Daytona Bike Week for the first time this year! Is anyone from this board going down? I also have a few questions for the Sv'ers who have already been down there. What days can you demo the bikes? What manufacturer's will be down there this year? Will the FZ1 be down there? Would any of you recommend camping at the campgrounds during bike week or do you think that it wouldn't be such a safe idea? Which campground would you recommend? Thanks. Sorry for all the questions. This is my first time and I don't know what to expect!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't been to bike week, but I have been to Biketoberfest, which is pretty much the same thing over a weekend... Yes the do have demo rides, and at Biketoberfest they had the FZ1, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't have it during Bikeweek. Your best bet is to check company websites along with the Bikeweek website to see who is going to be demo-ing where. As for the campgrounds, I hear they are good provided you have the right equipment and order space in time... Your only concern may be crowding since bike week occurs around spring break time, meaning extra crowds for the hotel, which in turn makes campgrounds a much more attractive place to stay.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
There's a thread already about it in the Southeast forum: http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=55816.0 There's a link in that thread for dates, places to camp, activities, etc.

Lots of FL peops go to Bikeweek. Demos usually go from Mon-Sat. Most of your major bike manufacurers are down here. They don't always offer they're whole lineup and if there's a certain bike you really want to demo- you need sign up for it ASAP. The demos usually fill up early and then you're screwed. Harley usually doesn't have too many people- I'd recommend demoing the Street Rod.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I will be going. Camp it has not been crowded for the past 3 times i went. The facilities are pretty good and you dont have to go far to see all of the junk that they have at the track...ohhh And its only $10 a night

·
Registered
248 Posts
Be prepared to be overwhelmed by straight-pipe Harleys. I went a few years ago. I liked it but I don't need to go back yet. The race is great since very few people go to it and there are lots of toys to buy.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Happy2BNekid said:
Be prepared to be overwhelmed by straight-pipe Harleys. I went a few years ago. I liked it but I don't need to go back yet. The race is great since very few people go to it and there are lots of toys to buy.
Don't go near Sturgis then!!! Now THAT was a loud place to be. I went with my tattoo artist and worked there for the two weeks of the rally...I swear I heard Harley's 24/7 for the whole two weeks I was there....for about the week after all I heard was a ringing noise in my ears!! :p

·
Registered
177 Posts
I live 20 mins or so from daytona and i think i have to agree with the guy who said he doesn't need to go back.  i mean i guess it can be fun if you have never been. to be honest there isn't all that much there but tshirt vendors!!!

Harley's are overwhelming this is true but there are little clicks of gsxrs and stuff too.  Lots of idiots on bikes though, not many true riders.   It seems to me like every rich lawyer or doctor with a midlife crisis goes to bike week to show off his new 50,000 dollar Harley. 

Depending on how far you are driving to go to this thing i would probably suggest staying home!  If its less than eh...5 or 6 hours OK go but dont expect too much you so you aren't disappointed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Check out the Web Site        http://www.officialbikeweek.com
Most every manufacturer will there and you shouldn't have a problem finding a bike to Demo Ride. Just get there early to sign up. Things you will need to Demo Ride a bike.
1. Driver License with motorcycle endorsement.
2. Helmet & Eye protection
3. Long sleeve shirt or a jacket.
4. Long pants
5. Boots that cover the ankle
Have fun my fiend!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
girl_on_a_blue_SV said:
I live 20 mins or so from daytona and i think i have to agree with the guy who said he doesn't need to go back.  i mean i guess it can be fun if you have never been. to be honest there isn't all that much there but tshirt vendors!!!

Harley's are overwhelming this is true but there are little clicks of gsxrs and stuff too.  Lots of idiots on bikes though, not many true riders.   It seems to me like every rich lawyer or doctor with a midlife crisis goes to bike week to show off his new 50,000 dollar Harley. 

Depending on how far you are driving to go to this thing i would probably suggest staying home!  If its less than eh...5 or 6 hours OK go but dont expect too much you so you aren't disappointed.
Ok, I am from Champaign, IL (1,000 miles one way) so you are discouraging me to come! How about if I hit the Dragon and Smokies on the way down. Would it be worth it then? So there's really not much down there! That's hard to believe.
Well, thanks for you opinion anyways.

·
Registered
177 Posts
NO there is lots down here, just lots of nothing to be honest. I think you should come once but its not what everyone makes it out to be. I know for me if i don't get too excited about something i have a better tI'me because im not expecting too much..thats all just trying to help you out!!! I'm sure you will have fun, just be safe!!!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Well just drving around with 500,000 to 800,000 bikers on the roads next to you feels amazing. 24 hours a day you just hear the rumbling of bikes everywhere. "We" take over 4 cities for the entire week, it's like 5 to 6 bikes for every car you see on the roads.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nexus242 said:
Well just drving around with 500,000 to 800,000 bikers on the roads next to you feels amazing.   24 hours a day you just hear the rumbling of bikes everywhere.   "We" take over 4 cities for the entire week, it's like 5 to 6 bikes for every car you see on the roads.
Now that's what I'm talking about! I have yet to be at a rally where bikes outnumber cars. That is just awesome. Thanks.

I went to the official bike week website and I still haven't been able to find out about the demo rides. Maybe I missed it.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
The Demo rides are set up right out side the Speedway and you NEED to be there EARLY in the morning to sign up cause they fill up very fast.

And there other "things" to see besides the T-shrit vendors while at Bikeweek. ;)

:)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was not saying you should't go. I am saying it is a lot like the KY Derby. Everyone needs to go once. Some people need to go every few years. However most people leave with a "been there, done that" and have no desire to go back the next year. You may love it more than life itself and feel a burning desire to return every year.

I liked going to Bike Week my one time. I bought the tee shirt. I bought a bunch of discounted gear. I loved going to the race. I liked seeing all the people one night but I have had my fill for a few more years. I will go again, just not real soon.

BTW - We stayed in Orlando so we only went to Daytona two days. That was enough to let me see it all and we spent the rest of the week around Orlando.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Whose couch can I crash on? ;D

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Nexus242 said:
Well just drving around with 500,000 to 800,000 bikers on the roads next to you feels amazing.   24 hours a day you just hear the rumbling of bikes everywhere.   "We" take over 4 cities for the entire week, it's like 5 to 6 bikes for every car you see on the roads.
That should be a rider's worst nightmare. I don't even like it when we exceed 5 ppl in a group ride. No thanks...i'll ride where its just me, my good friends, and good roads. Now to go and get stupid drunk and see boobies...it might be worth considering.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
and my couch is pretty comfy if you can handle three dogs jumping all over you in the a.m.
I'm cool with that. My own furry alarm clock. ;D

A couple of years ago, my parents and uncle coerced me into going to Milwaukee for the H-D 100th anniversary celebration. The ride was boring and it rained halfway out and halfway back. I even crashed on the way back after being separated from the others and had to spend the night stranded in a motel in some BFE town in Indiana. In spite of all that, I still say that it was one of the coolest things I've ever done on a motorcycle. The parking lot in out hotel was packed with bikes. When we left in the morning to head into Milwaukee, we fueled up and there were even more bikes. As we pulled up onto the freeway, I looked back over my shoulder to merge in to traffic and it was bikes as far as I could see. I do suspect that Daytona and Sturgis are a little different though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts