Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2003 SV650S I heard that the ZX10r 06-07 is plug and play except the box cutting, but then I read something that the 636 shock is meant for first gen. Basically The 2006 636 shock is the same as zx10 from 06-07 and compatible with 2nd gen? I don't want to pull the trigger until I get this settled in my brain. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I put an 06 636 on my 05 and I love it. I had to trim the battery box but other then that its plug and play. Its longer the stock so it raised my tail aan.5-1 inch so I have a little quicker turn in.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much did it raise your seat height and what other years are plug and play w/o the rise? I weigh 150 with gear. I have a hard time using the search function for this forum lol I fail I know. Ima hit up Professor Google. In the mean time bash me and provide me with awesome knowledge :p

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In essence, I would either like to keep the seat height the same, or if its a must that it will go up a little bit I can deal with it. Also no cutting is awesome, but again if its a must oh well. I find threads, but pictures are gone and there is controversy between some of them.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To my knowledge most of them require a simple cut. That shock should raise your end by qtr inch or half. I was contemplating about getting that shock for my second gen. I am just playing with my stock preload right now.

·
Registered
443 Posts
hey did you end up getting this sorted out dude? I have a 05 SV650 so its a 2nd gen (not sure what they'd call your 03 I guess 2nd gen but heard the frame and seat are different).

Anyways I bought an 06 636 rear shock due to its low price. I havent installed it yet but found only 1 thread about that shock on a 2nd gen and it definately requires a battery box cut. But my question is along the line of yours, I am only 155lbs in gear so I am about the same as you in gear. I know that the 06 636 shock is 10mm taller, but am affraid that will translate to a massive rear end/seat raise and want to know this answer as well.

Did you end up going with it and if so what were your results on seat raise, rear raise, cutting style, overall impression???

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I believe it was RMAN who posted that it is 1 to 3 shock length multiplier, so that would have the rear end raised 30mm, which is an inch plus 5mm. You could set the sag slightly more than usual, at the high end of the range to take some of that back, if you wanted to give it a shot and see how it works.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Turns out I miscalculated and was looking at the wrong shock on the google spreadsheet. 05 SV shock is 330mm and the 06 636 shock is actually 335.5 so its only a 5.5mm difference

if its 1 to 3 then it would be 16.5mm which is like 3/4 an inch or so? Are they referring to seat height raising with that calculation or is that overall rear tail raise? 3/4 tail raise is nothing but an extra 3/4 inch in seat height might feel a bit different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts