Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 2005 SVS with about 3000 miles on it so far, and I wanted some ideas for the fender eliminator. Everything I've seen is so freaking expensive, so I figured I would go ahead and go with DIY.

I wanted to know how to remove the factory fender, in one peice. Can anybody tell me how to do that? I don't want to dive in blindly unless I absolutely have to. I would like to purchase some sort of L bracket to mount the license plate on, and find a way to get some blinkers on there as well.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do a search on google. i know there are websites that have manuals on them. They can show you exactly how to do it. ...or someone else can tell you :p

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I managed to do it myself, for zero cost. ;D

It looks damn good, if I do say so myself.

You need:
Metric tools!! Metric hex wrenches, metric sockets, etc.
2 "L" Brackets about 1/2 inch wide, and 1 inch long on each side of the bend. 1 hole for a screw in each side of the L bracket.
2 screws and 2 nuts to attach these L brackets to the undertail once completed.
The stock license plate bracket that holds the license plate to the factory 'mudflap' fender.
Screwdrivers, and a drill with variable bit sizes (WHAT?! A DRILL!? :eek: ... it will be okay, I promise.)

Check this out, it might be helpful to some of you. Don't have pictures, unfortunately, but if I figured it out, it's really not that hard.

This is for the current gen SVS, a 2005 model to be specific.

First, I took apart the rear end, nearly down to the subframe. Both seats came off, followed by the tail. You have to take off the passenger handle, disconnect all the rear end lights, and then have something to set the rear end upon because the cable lock to the rear seat holds the tail on. You will be able to figure out how to get it off once you get into it.

Once that was done, I pryed out the plastic snap-lock dealies holding the plastic undertail to the bike. This allows you to pop the undertail section off (not completely off) and gives you access to the 10mm bolts holding the stock 'mudflap' fender to the subframe. Once you get under here... there are two 10mm bolts on each side holding the mudflap to the bike, you can remove them, but one of them is hidden on each side, you might need an extension for your ratchet, or extreme patience.

Now, you should be looking at your subframe, and your undertail should still be mostly in place. At this point, I went ahead and put everything back together with the exception of replacing the rear seat. Snapping the plastic snap-lock dealies to hold the undertail to the tail fairing section is tricky, but if you can get your hands in there to give some support on the back, it's not a problem. If you look, there will be about a 1/4 inch gap in the undertail where your hideous fender flap used to be. It's gone!!!

What I did, is removed the stock blinkers from this, and re-used them (with the intention of buying new short-stalk blinkers in the future). Check this out....

Remember that license plate bracket from before? Turn it upside down, attach your L brackets to the two screwholes that held this to the fender. Use the same screws/nuts to attach this to the L brackets. I had these brackets laying around (and I still have a dozen of them) but they shouldn't be more than 35-60 cents apiece at your local hardware store. Now, theres the two side "wings" of this license plate holder that once held reflectors. This is where you'll mount those blinikers. What I did, is I got two larger-guage nuts I had laying around and used them to space the blinkers so they would tighten properly. If you're using aftermarket blinkers, you won't have this problem, if you're using the stock blinkers, you'll know exactly what I mean, and you'll manage to find a way to fix this problem.

Remember that 1/4 inch gap where the fender was? This is where these L brackets will go. Rock them up in there, and mark where they fit. Drill appropriate sized holes here. Attach the L brackets to the undertail (make sure everything is TIGHT...) using those 2 screws and matching nuts you produced from elsewhere. The blinker wires will be obvious as to which side goes to which, and you can run these down behind where your plate will be, and all will be good.

It's really not that hard. I figured it out and it took me 2 hours to complete from start to finish with nobody else's help.

Good Luck! Happy fender eliminating!

·
Registered
482 Posts
mmathur said:
Do you/anybody know if this would work for an '03 SV?
It should work for the '03. I have to admit that this is the better of the dirt cheap methods I've seen.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This should work with the 2003 SV, it has the same body style as the current models. It is quite dirt cheap, all you need is two screws, 2 nuts that fit them, those two little L brackets, and the tools. Good luck! PM or AIM me at "addivinum" if you need any help!

·
Registered
286 Posts
+1 on addivinum's writeup. Just did that today and the bike looks awesome. There is still a small gap left between the undertail plastic and the body peice, but I'm going to rig up a smaller peice to cover that within the next few days. Until then, electrical tape from the inside is doing the trick.

If you want to do it, I'd look for a writeup on taking the tail body peice off. It looks like a bitch and a half, but it's not really that hard.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greg, what I did to counter the gap that is left on the soft plastic undertail can be seen in the last two pictures I posted..

When the fender comes off, there are two screw holes left behind. If proper holes are drilled in the undertail, you can bolt the undertail to these holes using the bolts that originally held the plastic fender on. This brings the undertail closer, and tucks it "behind and up" into the body peice, so there isn't really a gap. There's still the horizontal 1 cm gap, but this eliminates the vertical gap so there's not really a 'gap,' and its definately alot harder to notice, and isnt enough to bother me, personally.

As far as the tail body peice, take both seats off, and start takin bolts out! lol. Keep going until it comes off, I kind of touch on this in my write up, but its really not that hard. The hardest thing for me was getting those plastic snap locks connecting the undertail to the bodywork to snap back in, but then I figured out theres a little trick to them. You guys have fun with that! ;)

Got pics, Greg?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't have photos yet, I will try and get them soon. And yes, I am in the process of using that far back bolt to bring the undertail up and bolt it in, I just didn't get the time to finish it yesterday. As for unbolting everything, I literally did that, and started to unbolt the rear light by accident. Man, those bolts were a major PITA to get out and then put back in when I figured out I didn't need them out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did this on my '03 SV and I noticed that the license plate bracket for the '03 doesn't have the mounts for reflectors on the side like the '05 does.  This was resolved by using L-brackets on the side of the license plate bracket to mount the turn signals. 
I like the way it looks, but need to find a way to fill the gap left since the fender has been removed.  I wasn't able to slide the plastic forward and bolt down to close the gap.

Check out the picture attached:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another satisfied customer BIG THANKS to "addivinum" instructions and how to. Also took me about 2hrs easier than what I expected. Very good Instructions again thumbs up. Just one quick question for addivinum, did you have to drill a hole on your last two pics that you have posted with the bolts circled in red? Big difference without that huge fender.

·
Registered
64 Posts
All I did was remove the license plate bracket, drill a couple of holes up as high as possible on the 'mudflap' to re-mount it. Then I took the trusty ol' dremel and hacked off as much of the mudflap as possible, using the new bracket holes a guideline. It took 15 minutes, looks quite a bit better, and best of all cost a total of $0. Id post a few photos but I have no idea how.

C

1 - 14 of 14 Posts