Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, This might be a long post but the bike has had problems for a bit so I will describe everything in hopes it will help with some better advice. I have recently sold my car and need to get the bike going to have transportation.

The Bike:
2005 SV650N 18,000KM
  • Hindle High Side pipe
  • Had Clip ons when i got it but changed to fatty bars with low cnc risers. ( May be part of the issue)
  • Rear integrated signal LED tail light with proper resisters on the power lines.
  • adjustable height mod
The Immediate Problem:

I was stopped at a stop sign, went to take off and the bike started to go but then stopped. when I looked at the dash everything was black like it was off. nothing works and the bike doesn't start. when you press the starter and another button like the horn or something (i will check this tomorrow, its been a year or so since this happened) you can get the lights and screen to come on but only while holding those buttons. thought maybe it was a bad battery as it was getting old and needed charging more often so i bought a new one. did nothing, same issue. so I started to take the bike apart and check the connections and switches in the dash. everything seems fine so far but i haven't gone farther than the handle bars really.

The problems leading up to this:

I have always had issues with this bike and the rain. I bought the bike used at 3 years old and 10,000km. Since I got it it has never worked once it is wet. I am aware of the issue with the front cylinder cutting out in the rain because of the plug area filling with water but i am not sure that was my issue. the reason I say this is because the bike didn't have to be ridden for it to not work. If i left the bike out in the rain it would not work until it dried. Also if I was riding and it started raining i could drive in the rain for a good 30-45min before the bike would stop working. It was the same symptom as the bike acted like one cylinder wasn't firing but I'm not sure it was the same issue. I made sure the plug drain hole was always clear and the plug boot was well coated with the special plug boot dressing/sealer. This wasn't much of an issue for me as the bike stayed in a garage when not in use and I drove the car when it was supposed to rain. also i could get home if i had to most of the time it rained unexpectedly.

When I got the bike it had clip ons. I didn't like the riding position so i bought low rise fatty bars and cnc mounts/risers. the bike came with bars as it had the holes for the mounts unlike most sv's. From what I understand this was the N model only available in the US and it came with bars and no windscreen at all. anyways the wiring was all bunched up and stuffed into the frame and looked like it may have been chafing a bit. nothing major though and all worked fine at the time. when i put the bars on there was barely enough wiring though and I ended up having to get as much slack as i could and it was still a little tight on the wires turning one way. Im not sure if this is part of the problem or not.

The efforts so far to fix it:

I replaced the battery with no results.
checked the fuses but couldn't find any blown.
I checked the switches, contacts and connectors leading to the dash but haven't gone far or checked continuity just looking to make sure everything is plugged in and looks normal.

Like I said before this happened a year or so ago and I got busy and tried to look at it over the winter but didn't really get a lot of time. I have time now and need transportation so I'm going to have a go at it tomorrow and see what I find.

Just hoping someone can give me an idea where to look or what could be the issue. I have the factory service manual and am fairly mechanically inclined. Im not too experienced with electrical but i get the basics and know how to use a multimeter. I figured after checking the connections i would try to check continuity on the wires, besides that I'm not sure where to start.

I can't sell the bike and get another one for a few reasons so even though that may be best, it isn't an option for me right now. I have also taken very good care of the bike and just got new tires, fork seals, clutch, chain etc so besides this problem the bike is pretty mint.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

·
Super Moderator
8,581 Posts
The Immediate Problem:

I was stopped at a stop sign, went to take off and the bike started to go but then stopped. when I looked at the dash everything was black like it was off. nothing works and the bike doesn't start. when you press the starter and another button like the horn or something (i will check this tomorrow, its been a year or so since this happened) you can get the lights and screen to come on but only while holding those buttons.
Is the bike 100% dead now, no lights, no dash, nothing? That would be good as complete power loss is easy to track down.

Let us know about the starter button and horn button after you test again. That is strange.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Electrics are NOT my strong point, but I would look at the main ground connection at the back of the clutch cover, right hand side of the engine. It's kind of hidden behind the frame, but you can get at it with an extension. I'd give it a really good hose down with WD40 or similar, then try and loosen it and tighten it back up again to shift any corrosion that may be there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same thing happened to me on my curvy S model. Turned out to be the regulator/rectifier had blown up. The back was completely blown out. I also had to replace the 30A fuse at the starter relay. I got a new R/R, wired it directly to the battery instead of wiring harness and have been good ever since. Hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, I will look at the ground by the clutch cover.

I'm not sure what I did but I took some things apart to see if there was a problem then put it back together and now it works. I didn't see anything wrong anywhere so not sure what i did but it turns on now which is a lot more than it was doing before. I unplugged the ECU when I dropped a battery bolt so it might have been a loose connection there? I have a completely dead battery so I'm going to get a new one tomorrow, then I can really test the bike. Also have to go get a sticker :(

It turns out its been 2years since this happened and probably 3 since I have run a full tank through the bike. When i put it away I did use fuel stabilizer and ethanol fuel treatment as well as always using supreme gas. Should I worry about the gas in the bike? I'll do an oil change and air filter, lube the chain and sprockets; Is there anything else I should go over having sat for so long?

Thanks again for the help, hopefully my main issue is solved. Any advice about my water issues?

·
Registered
483 Posts
The stabilizer should have helped but I would get fresh fuel in there if you can. After 2 years the brakes might stick/bind, which may need a caliper strip and clean to fix. I'd change the brake fluid too. Coolant can wait until the bike up and running.

·
Super Moderator
8,581 Posts
... I'm not sure what I did but I took some things apart to see if there was a problem then put it back together and now it works. I didn't see anything wrong anywhere so not sure what i did but it turns on now which is a lot more than it was doing before. I unplugged the ECU when I dropped a battery bolt so it might have been a loose connection there?
Too bad the problem went away by itself. That makes it hard to find. Electrical tests will show nothing, visual inspection is the only way to go forward.

The ECM or ECM connector will not cause full power loss.

Until you find the true cause of the power problem be prepared for the bike to quit at any time, and if Muphy has his way it won't be convenient.

The most likely cause for full power loss is:
1. The green ignition connector, most common.
2. The 4plug connector at the starter relay, less common.
3. The ignition switch itself can fail (we saw that just a few weeks ago here on SVR) but it is not easy to open and inspect and is a rare failure.

Even though the bike is working now, the ignition switch and starter relay connectors should be opened and visually inspected.

Here is an example of a burned ignition plug, aka "The Dreaded Green Connector".

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, So the bike was working fine. I used it all day yesterday with no problems at all and for a few days before that but just short rides. Today I went to go to the store and the bike acted like the battery was dead which is odd because its a brand new AGM battery installed less than a week ago. I figured it could be a bad alternator or charge circuit so i threw the charger on it and it charged up. When i went to start it, it just made clicking sounds and acted like I just sucked all the juice out of the battery. So I charged it again and the charger said the battery is half after just being charged.

Is this a bad battery or is there something else going on here?

Where is that green connector? Is it inside the bucket for the headlight (N model with just a round light)?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don't think my problem is the battery. the bike is acting like its getting half power but the battery reads full voltage. I can't seem to find that green connector, Is it under the tank?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK I found the connector and its completely fine. I had to take out the airbox but i got to it lol. I also checked all the fuses again and nothing blown, checked the connector at the starter relay (near the battery) and thats all fine there.

The bike is altogether acting strange. i took a video of what happens when I turn on the bike and try to start it if anyone would like to watch it and see if it tells you whats wrong.

it doesn't seem to have full power for a bit then makes some quiet clicking noises and seems to have full power. When I go to start it it seems to have a massive power drop and makes a bunch of loud clicking and then kind of resets. when it turns back on though its like half power again and the fuel pump is even slow. then after a few seconds quiet clicks and back to full power.

maybe the starter is shot and grounding out?

any suggestions would be great!

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
8,581 Posts
If the bike was originally completely dead, 100% blackout, that is a different problem from loud relay clicks and slow fuel pump.

100% blackout could be due to a failed connector(s) a previously mentioned, or blown main fuse.

Relay "clicks" and slow fuel pump is most likely a discharged or failing battery.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Go over your work and make sure the battery terminals are still tight.

Measure the battery voltage with the key off and again when you attempt to start the bike. A fully charged battery will read 12.7V key off and better than 10V while cranking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts