Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.. just last night my sv650 stopped starting. It has gas in, and most likely needs an oil change which I am planning on doing this week. All electronics work great, the ignition goes, but it does not start. If I give it some gas while it is starting it starts to go but then sputters out. Could you guys help me identify this problem? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Do you hear it cranking?

My batter was almost dead and all electronics worked but there was not enough to crank it.

Does it start fully if jumped from a car battery?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
As mentioned, you want to check the easiest cheapest thing, like the battery.

Make sure the clutch safety thingy (the thing on the clutch lever that can tell the clutch is pulled in) is working. I had a problem where my bike thought the clutch wasn't pulled in, and it wouldn't start.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It appears as though the engine is turning over, guys, so that rules out the clutch switch.

How old is the battery?

Use, buy, borrow, steal a multimeter and give us the voltage on your battery when sitting and when pushing the starter. A charged battery should read around 12.9 volts or so and will dip a couple of volts for a second as the engine starts and then immediately come right back up to the high 12's, low 13's when idling. If your numbers are significantly lower than this, then the battery is suspect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts