Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering if any SV's have a reserve or a fuel gauge yet. From the people in my class and the instructor they sound very happy especially since when in the city your gas millage is very different then out in the country where I live. I know it seems minor but I don't want to be stranded anywhere because I run out of gas.

If they still do not have them, is there a comparible bike that does one without going to a I4 from honda? those seem to be VERY reliable and someone said they have fuel gauges or a reserve tank.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
We just have fuel lights on the 03+. They're good enough unless it burns out.
I know the Busa has an actual fuel gage.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
the 1st gens have fuel lights that come on with approx 0.7 gals left. The tank holds 4.3 gals and no there is no fuel reserve or cut off switch. Those are realy old school bike features.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
close to a gallon. That would suffice nicely! the instrustor actually told me that the sv that I want doesn't have a reserve tank and that is good to know and I remember reading that here.

After pushing just the little 250 nighthawk around today I do NOT want to run out of gass lol especially uphill :eek:

so the first gens just come on constant after .7 gallons left and the 2nd gens .9 gallons and then it flashes with .4 gallons.

Are the first gen lights reliable with .7 gallons? If not I might concider saving for a 2nd gen.

I have not decided on a naked or not yet. Both are the same for the fuel lights on both generations?

N

·
0 Posts
Even in the ol' days when bikes had fuel valves (petcocks) with reserve positions (actually not a reserve tank, just a standpipe on the "on" position. When fuel fell below the level of the standpipe you'd switch to reserve to open a different valve), the tripmeter is the best way to know how much fuel you have onboard.

Fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate and petcocks are rare these days. If you get in the habit of resetting your trip at every fill up you'll soon be able to predict accurately when you need gas. Simple, cheap and it works well- what more could you want?

:)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
there's .9-1.0 gal (3.2-3.3 gal to fill ) after the fuel light flashes in a 1st gen 49state model, maybe .7 in a CA model, I know they have somehting different inside the fuel tank

the Fuel light goes on solid when there is .4-.5gal left

once the fuel light is on solid, you will begin to experience fuel starvation in twisties

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wait wait so the first gens stay on constant and then they also flash with .4 gallons left?! that is MUCH more affordable to me if i can find a used one next year.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
CyByte said:
wait wait so the first gens stay on constant and then they also flash with .4 gallons left?!  that is MUCH more affordable to me if i can find a used one next year.
I think I speak for everybody when I ask what in the world you are talking about. How is it more affordable? And why would you let something like that tip the scales between a 1st and 2nd generation?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if the first gen actually has the warning light at .9-1 gallon I would go for a first gen becuause the value of those bikes is lower then the value of a second generation bike. However if the first generation only does it at .4 gallons than I will not purchase one of those. I don't live in a city and finding a gas station many times means going to town or going to the next town if after 10pm

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
CyByte said:
if the first gen actually has the warning light at .9-1 gallon I would go for a first gen becuause the value of those bikes is lower then the value of a second generation bike.  However if the first generation only does it at .4 gallons than I will not purchase one of those.  I don't live in a city and finding a gas station many times means going to town or going to the next town if after 10pm
???

Fill it up more often?....... ::)

I agree...... that is a wierd way to make the decision between 1st and 2nd generation.

I tend to top off my tank before a group ride, or when the trip odometer hits a little over 100mi. I never wait for the light to come on.

·
Registered
197 Posts
1st gens have a dual-stage fuel warning

don't let something like that make the decision on what bike to get. Consider that the 2nd gens have FI... now that is a deciding factor

N

·
0 Posts
Honestly, after you have logged some miles you will know exactly when to get gas.

On my 1G I know to expect the light to flash at ~140 mi if I'm hoofin' it, ~150 mi typical and ~160 mi if I'm really trying to stretch it. IMO, this is a no issue; you're trying to apply car logic to bikes, but they're two completely different things.

:)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
CyByte said:
wait wait so the first gens stay on constant and then they also flash with .4 gallons left?!  that is MUCH more affordable to me if i can find a used one next year.
backward, when you get to .9gal, it starts to flash, it coninues to flash either till you get gas, or you get down to .4gal at that point, the light stays on constant, instead of blinking, it continues to stay on constant till either you get gas, or you run out

·
Registered
177 Posts
First generation in every context is 1999-2002, curvy frames, carbureutors... second generation is 2003->till they change em, fuel injectors and pointy bits.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cybyte,

If you fill up your tank and put 3.4 gallons in it and it costs you 10 dollars, and do this every time, you are going to spend 10 bucks times the number of times you fill it up. Say for instance you fill it up 5 times, that's $50, ok?

Ok, say you get 50 miles per gallon, that means 3.4 gallons times 5, 16.2 total gallons purchased. 50mi/gal times 16.2 gallons = 810 miles driven.

Ok, now that's if you get 3.4 gallons every time, which is just about what I get on my second gen. Now say you fill up earlier every time, and say get 2.0 gallons every time, and that costs you (at the same price as above $2.94/gallon) $5.88 per fill up, ok? So that's cheaper for you, right?

But let's say you have to go the 810 miles you went when filling up at 3.4 gallons. Ok, you'r still getting 50mpg, so you still need to get 16.2 gallons to make the distance. That means you are going to have to fill up 8.1 times to make it instead of 5 times so guess what it costs you?

Yep, $50. Same as above. So you aren't saving money by filling up earlier, you are just making more trips to the gas station, and probably spending more money overall because you are buying a coke or in my case, a $2 red bull everytime you fill up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
On my '03 I usually stop for gas between 150 and 200 miles on the tank. I use the trip odo religiously and reset it at each fillup. The light will start flickering around 140-150 and then be on solid soon after. If mostly city driving then I don't go much farther than 150/tank. On the highway 200 is do-able with a fuel stop soon after. When in doubt, fuel up more often 8)

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
1st gen (99-02)

0.9 gal left, gas light blinks, approx 40 miles till you run out

0.4 gal left, gas light goes solid, approx 20 miles till you run out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts