Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just put a Gen3 engine in my '04 Gen2... I'll be running the twin plug heads.. has anyone used twin plug coils with single plug ECU ? If not, does anyone know what's involved in converting it ?... as the ECU plug is way different on the '07 upwards...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not speaking from experience here. There are coils (e.g. Kawasaki Concours) with two plug leads intended to fire different cylinders (wasted spark). If you feel adventurous in experimenting, this type of coil could be used to fire both SV650 plugs.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not speaking from experience here. There are coils (e.g. Kawasaki Concours) with two plug leads intended to fire different cylinders (wasted spark). If you feel adventurous in experimenting, this type of coil could be used to fire both SV650 plugs.
The std single coils are 4ohm... the Gen3 coils are 2.5ohm so not sure how that would work... would it overheat the ECU ?.... dunno... there's a 4ohm twin fire coil set on ebay $60... then use std plug caps...

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
FYI, the resistance of a Concours coil primary winding is a nominal 2.3 ohms.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
You could rewire the whole bike to 07+ and use the later ECU. But I'd guess you'll probably run into other odd plug match issues, like the cluster or the fuel pump. You'd have to study both diagrams closely and be willing to cut connectors off and splice them together.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Can't do that... i'm a big fan of twin plug heads so i wouldn't do that... i want to make it work as designed
Well, then you're going to do a lot of work for very little gain.
Guess I'm not sure what would make you a "big fan of twin plug heads" versus the early ones? I have a twin plug engine in my V-Strom, and while there's nothing wrong with it there's also nothing that makes me think it's any better than the earlier motors.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, then you're going to do a lot of work for very little gain.
Guess I'm not sure what would make you a "big fan of twin plug heads" versus the early ones? I have a twin plug engine in my V-Strom, and while there's nothing wrong with it there's also nothing that makes me think it's any better than the earlier motors.
If it didn't do anything they wouldn't use it... besides, I also like the look & sound of it... 'twin plug heads'... got a nice ring to it.... also I like the psychological effect.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You could rewire the whole bike to 07+ and use the later ECU. But I'd guess you'll probably run into other odd plug match issues, like the cluster or the fuel pump. You'd have to study both diagrams closely and be willing to cut connectors off and splice them together.
no I would never rewire the whole bike... i'll hook the Gen3 coils up and see what sort of spark I get... a couple of mechanics here recon 2 to 5 ohm coils should all just work... Test light... what for ?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Less chance of SV325 syndrome in the rain ;) I think Suzuki did it primarily for emissions reasons rather than any power gains.
Correct... burn out that last little bit... possibly a smidge crisper off the throttle... That's not why I'm doing it... I just want to see more plug leads, helps me sleep at night... in other words, wank value :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts