Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!
Ok straight to it! About a month ago as I was on my home from work, going about 75mph, all of a sudden as I increased throttle, the engine started losing rpm's and started to slow down. Right after that happened, through my helmet I heard a slight continuous "tic,tic,tic" noise. I throttled again, just to see if it was a fluke and again the noise increased and still was losing rpm's. I lifted my visor, turns out the noise was alot louder and aggressive than what I thought! Shortly after that there was a big boom and oil went all over the road! Immediately I shifted it down into neutral and coasted off the highway at the nearest exit. Oil was just changed, brand new filter, pretty sure coolant level was sufficient, no previous issues.

Thoughts on what happened?
Oh bike only has 22k miles on odo.
Do I need to replace the engine or try to rebuild? If I replace can the 1000cc fit in '04 frame? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Have you always done the oil changes yourself or is the bike new to you? Wheelie it much? It sounds like you definitely had some catastrophic failure; "ticking" makes me think cam chain. If it was knocking, I'm sure you know that is also a bad sound, it could be either at this point. Is the motor locked up or can you turn it over by hand?
The cheapest route is going to be a used engine. Ebay is good for that, local forums are even better to save on shipping. Don't bother with the 1000 swap, it seems people ask that question once a month and it's not a viable option. If you want a faster bike, go buy a gsxr :LOL:

·
Registered
185 Posts
With oil "going all over the road" I suspect it's a terminal problem. See if you can find where the oil came from, sounds like the cases have a new ventilation hole. Mentioned the oil was just changed, no disrespect but could there have been an oil leak after that, sometimes o-rings don't do what they should or the gasket on the drain bolt, more than one person has screwed up an oil change. A used motor will likely be the least expensive and easiest solution. On the plus side even with oil on the road you didn't go down.

For others, if you hear noises that aren't normal pull the clutch in, cut the engine off, and coast to the side of the road, might be able to have a less costly repair.

·
Registered
607 Posts
A replacement engine is much easier and cheaper than a rebuild. Any fuel-injected motor (with a single spark plug per cylinder) from 2003 to 2006 will plug straight in. I'm sure you can wire in a later 2007-onward twin spark plug engine too, maybe with a little more electrical fiddling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts