Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! Located in Fredericton, NB, Canada

So I had a 2004 SV650N in 2012-2013. Sold it for a dual sport and then in 2014 went all in on mountain biking after so no motorized fun.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Bought a 1982 Honda CX500 project bike in January and spent the winter and summer rebuilding it, great project and a great bike but I always missed the SV, favourite of the bikes I've owned!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Got it in my mind I might buy a new SV650 as I REALLY love the look of the Cafe 650X and my local dealer had a 2019 with 900kms for $1800 off new. I really wanted to like it but the clip-on riding position just isn't for me. Maybe it would have grown on me but I didn't really like it. If it was a SV650A I almost definitely would have bought it and didn't want to get into converting the top triple/etc on a new bike.

So I found a 2004 Naked in the same Candy Grand Blue with 16,000kms on it that looked reasonably well taken care of in town. M4 full full exhaust, new rear tire 2 months ago and in general good shape so home it came! I would have definitely preferred a 2005+ to get the black frame and smaller rad but they seem very hard to come by in a naked model.

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

The muffler didn't have the DB killer installed so it was quite loud < 100km/h and even over that it was a bit droning, but in the box of stuff the PO got from the PPO the DB killer was just sitting there! (She had no idea). So installed that with one bolt and SOOOO much better, sounds great now - still growling but not overpowering or annoying anymore.

PPO chose the "race mount" version when he put it on which puts the midpipe a little close to shoe melting territory for my liking so I called M4 and ordered the midpipe from the standard mount kit which is the only different part between the 2, and can just put the passenger pegs back on as the right one is the OG exhaust hanger. Still quite a bit higher than the MASSIVE tube that comes on these OEM. No idea if it was ever remapped (I've reached out to hime) but I doubt it.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Hood Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Immediate Maintenance Items are:

Definite:
Oil & Filter change (K&N filter and Motul 5100 semi-syn first time around)
Coolant Change
Clean and lube chain
TPS Calibration
Throttle Body Sync (I have a friend with a Carbtune pro https://www.carbtune.com I've used for the CX, so that'll get re-used)
Check/replace air filter (a K&N was included but isn't oiled so likely never installed - seems they have mixed reviews)
Check/Test/lube/calibrate STVA (see C28 error below)

Possibly:
Flush fuel pump
Fork oil replacement (seals optional or required?)
Replace brake lines and fluid (looks to be original lines, fluid no idea) - TBD
Front tire looks ok but I think is from 2013, I'll probably ask the local shop on it
Valve clearance check (16k kms - so I think it's due)

Only issue I have is when riding hard on the highway I'm getting a C28 FI error on the STVA and then the 3k fast idle, but only when holding over 7500-8000 rpm for 10 secs or so. It's very reproducible and a power cycle clears it so I'll post something in the tech section about it having looked at a lot of the info out there. Hopefully that doesn't end up being a chronic issue!

Any other suggestions on things to look at are greatly appreciated and I'll continue to poke through the 2G forums and look for common items to check.

Thanks a lot and look forward to chatting and riding!

·
Registered
'00 SV650YE03, '08 SV650AK8
56 Posts
That front tire looks like a Dunlop D220. If so it is probably original and definitely a terrible tire new or ancient.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s not terribly worn out from what I can see, but it’s definitely the original tire so thanks for mentioning it. 46 week 03?

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

I’ll put that on the replace list for over the winter though even if just for age. I plan on doing fork oil and seals so while that’s all apart I’ll take the wheel in and get it done.

There’s a < 500 km road smart III on the back, maybe I’ll just match them if that’s an ok dual compound tire?

·
Registered
'00 SV650YE03, '08 SV650AK8
56 Posts
That Dunlop is toast. Likely hard as a rock. You should dump it ASAP. Your steering will be weird. It's not a bad idea you have to match the rear with a front Roadsmart III.

Alternatively, Bridgestone has a tire rebate ongoing, $50 per set, until 11/30/2021 for the sport touring T32 (among others). bridgestonerewards.com

I'm very familiar with the predecessors, the T30, T30 EVO and the T31, and I like them very much. They are compliant with a round profile which yields consistent, progressive turn in. I obtained around 7K miles on the rear of my BMW R11S, more on the front, and around 10K on my SV rear. I've not used their current offering, the T32, but it is purported to be of better wet weather performance bridgestonemotorcycletires.com/t32. Bridgestone produces a GT variant of the T32 for heavy bikes. I would not recommend for the SV. Here's a kinda fun T32 promo video with stunt rider Aaron Colton.

I buy my tires at americanmototires.com and mount them myself. They consistently have the best prices and fast delivery.

Reactions: Geo Smith

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That Dunlop is toast. Likely hard as a rock. You should dump it ASAP. Your steering will be weird. It's not a bad idea you have to match the rear with a front Roadsmart III.

Alternatively, Bridgestone has a tire rebate ongoing, $50 per set, until 11/30/2021 for the sport touring T32 (among others). bridgestonerewards.com

I'm very familiar with the predecessors, the T30, T30 EVO and the T31, and I like them very much. They are compliant with a round profile which yields consistent, progressive turn in. I obtained around 7K miles on the rear of my BMW R11S, more on the front, and around 10K on my SV rear. I've not used their current offering, the T32, but it is purported to be of better wet weather performance bridgestonemotorcycletires.com/t32. Bridgestone produces a GT variant of the T32 for heavy bikes. I would not recommend for the SV. Here's a kinda fun T32 promo video with stunt rider Aaron Colton.

I buy my tires at americanmototires.com and mount them myself. They consistently have the best prices and fast delivery.
Thanks for the info, I'm in Canada so I'll probably just order from my local dealer or from Fortnine in Montreal.

Fortnine has the Roadsmart 3 in both the original size and 70 profile for $150CAD (about $120USD) so I'll look at that vs my local cost and decide if I want to try out the 70 to fix the speedo variance and I can just drop the forks 10mm as I see seems to be very common on here unless you or someone has strong opinions on staying with the 120/60R17, I'm good either way TBH!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts