Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day guys,
Ive got a NSW LAMS approved 2004 SV650. As far as I am aware they typically are not LAMS? Does this mean that my specific SV has been underpowered? To my understanding that was not permitted under the lams scheme. Anyone know the specifics or more details on how this works?
Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
As far as i know you could buy (as new from Suzuki) a LAMS version or a regular non-LAMS version. The LAMS bikes have a different ECU that restricts power, and on the rego form under Conditions it'll say "LA"

·
Registered
30 Posts
The whole point of LAMS was to have manufacturers offer restricted-power models more suitable for new riders, not sure why you think that would not be permitted under the LAMS scheme?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an 09 LAMS with both restricted power and full power ECUs; I checked with the RMS and you can get a LAMS bike modified back to full power and have it officially re-certified as a non-LAMS bike, BUT not the other way round. ie you can't go from normal to LAMS. Only manufacturers could certify a bike as LAMS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an 09 LAMS with both restricted power and full power ECUs; I checked with the RMS and you can get a LAMS bike modified back to full power and have it officially re-certified as a non-LAMS bike, BUT not the other way round. ie you can't go from normal to LAMS. Only manufacturers could certify a bike as LAMS.
Thanks for your response. So in order to derestrict the bike I would have to go to the RMS and buy a new ECU? I know with other bikes sometimes you can clip a wire and derestrict but not possible on the SV? In regard to my thoughts in regard to restriction I was wrong as I read that you couldn't restrict a bike to make it LAMS but that was refering to bikes above 660cc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, the lams scheme didnt come in til around 08 I believe so how would an 04 SV be restricted from the manufacturer?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for your response. So in order to derestrict the bike I would have to go to the RMS and buy a new ECU? I know with other bikes sometimes you can clip a wire and derestrict but not possible on the SV? In regard to my thoughts in regard to restriction I was wrong as I read that you couldn't restrict a bike to make it LAMS but that was refering to bikes above 660cc.
No, RMS has nothing to do with the bike / mods. You would need an ECU from a similar year non-LAMS bike. The power restriction is hard wired into the ECU, there's no quick way around it. You can find them on eBay from time to time, i think around AUD$100-200 from memory? Then is just simple swap n go.
Even if you have a full license, you may want to consider things like insurance, liability etc if you were to get caught / involved in an accident with a LAMS bike modified to full power. Of course you can always have the bike re-certified as non-LAMS, but know that you can't then go back to LAMS even with the original ECU installed - RMS won't allow it. Plus it may affect your insurance premium and resale values.

Just some things for thought. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for this you should just check on the rego paper if it says LA or not.
Yeah cheers. It says LA on the rego, thought that might be the case. Might have to purchase a new ECU and register with the RMS and just hope there aren't any additional costs. Thanks for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts