Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just bought an 04 sv650s subframe from a mc salvage place on ebay, and it's pretty different from my 04 sv650s. It's much heavier (I have two old subframes, one original and one ebayed, and both are way lighter than this. I'm guessing Al vs Steel?), and the rear brake brace that reaches up and bolts to the back of the subframe is short by 1/2 inch if I recall correctly. I did not check to see if the muffler mounts line up correctly.

What's the deal here? Are there really that many revisions of the 04 subframe? IS there a year/revision subframe that is steel and not aluminum? Could the subframe I bought be right and my used bike really have been a naked sv converted on the front to an s model, causing the pegs/brakes to not line up? Doubt it... since I already bought an 04 s model subframe on ebay that worked a year ago.

Thanks,
Joel

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 03 subframe was steel and was higher then the 04+ aluminum ones. You most probably have an 03 subframe in your hands. But I don't see why is wouldn't fit the 04 Frame.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
it will bolt up but your seat won't fit and the little side triangles qould need to be replaced. Oh, and the battery tray.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I haven't gotten to the part of mounting the seat. The subframe came with the rear fender, so are there differences in fuse mounting locations?

The seller gave me the VIN and is sure that the bike was an 04. I'm guessing he didn't personally own the bike through it's life to be 100% sure that somebody didn't put an 03 subframe on the 04 or something?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I haven't gotten to the part of mounting the seat. The subframe came with the rear fender, so are there differences in fuse mounting locations?

The seller gave me the VIN and is sure that the bike was an 04. I'm guessing he didn't personally own the bike through it's life to be 100% sure that somebody didn't put an 03 subframe on the 04 or something?
oh, and doesn't the tool bag on the 03 fit under the passenger seat instead of by the battery? Since he sold me the fender with the subframe, it should be a quick check to confirm that the fender is 03 at least.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The way I can tell 03 Vs. newer years is the bottom beam. On the 03 the beam is straight.
On the 04 and + the bottom beam beam has a slight angle.
Look at my rendition.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice.

Looks like the guy shipped me an 03 subframe and 04 fender/battery tray. Seems unlikely that someone would mount an 03 subframe to the bike, but whatever. Hopefully I can get a refund.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Some people want the '03 to raise the seat height on the newer bikes, some people want the newer subframe's to lower the seat height on an '03. I have an '03 and put an '05 subframe on it to lower the height.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
I have an 06 subframe (black) if you need one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a question along the same lines but slightly different.

I just picked up a 2003 SV650S upper fairing off of ebay to replace the cracked fairing on the bike I just bought. The bike is a 2004 SV650s.

I went on the microfiche and the part numbers are different for the 2003 and 2004 fairings. (shoulda checked first..oops!) Are they actually different? Will the 2003 fairing fit on my 2004 bike?

Thanks!
John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts