Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my engine has an issue....i dont know what it is but it sounds BAD, i'll dig into it later and see what the problem is but right now my initial thought is that i can just get a whole new one.  Do you think this seems logical (if the current problem is big/bad/expensive)?  Im not mechanically inclined so i'd rather lose a few $$ and just bolt a new motor in than spend a lot of time/money fixing it myself or paying someone else to fix it.

So any way...The new motor will have the necessary changes made to fit a first gen. (fly wheel, stator, intake etc) besides that, what else will i need to do, any other changes that need to be made to make the fuel injection work? basically...asside from the cost of the new motor, what else will i need to buy and how much work will it be..
help greatly appreciated.. i just wanna ride again!!!! :-[

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can actually put a new engine in an old frame with the fuel injection. As long as you don't mind helping, er, modify the frame slightly around one edge of the throttle bodies and the front edge of the air box.

G

·
mike1234 said:
You can actually put a new engine in an old frame with the fuel injection. As long as you don't mind helping, er, modify the frame slightly around one edge of the throttle bodies and the front edge of the air box.
and find fuel pump that will work and fit somewhere.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i remember somebody putting a second gen motor in an 1st gen frame, lots of modification, do even attempt it bro...its so not worth it unless you really really know what you're doing.

G

·
novakane said:
i remember somebody putting a second gen motor in an 1st gen frame, lots of modification, do even attempt it bro...its so not worth it unless you really really know what you're doing.
I did it.
it is actualy very easy if you dont use FI.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TWF said:
I did it.
it is actualy very easy if you dont use FI.
Yea i read the first few pages of your thread. Im far from an expert at bike work so i dont know which would be worse for me, rebuilding the old one or trying to fit in a whole new one. If you need 2nd gen exhaust thats already another pretty penny to shell out...
I just barely pulled the bike out of the back of the truck so im not doing anything anytime soon, i gotta wait for my dad to fix his bike before i can even fit it in the shop.
Im hoping its just something small and i can do it fairly easily but, that never seems to be the case with loud noises in engines :-[

·
Registered
22 Posts
As long as you have a loom, ECU, etc. from a fuel inject bike the whole set up fits (with the minor mods. I mentioned previously).

Speak to 'robw' on this forum as he has an early bike running fuel injection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts