Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so this is my problem. It started last fall, my bike would having trouble starting, and if I didn't ride it for a few days it wouldn't start at all. I replaced the battery this spring but the issue remains. For example. I could go for a ride in Monday, but if I don't start it again until Saturday it won't start. I've been checking the voltage with a multimeter and just today the battery read 12.9 volts, then I tried starting it and it wouldn't go. I checked the multimeter again and it was at 11.5. I can't figure out the problem. Doesn't seem to be the r/r or alternator cause it will keep going if I ride it. I feel like it's an electrical issue. Anyone got any ideas or similar experiences?

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Ok, first, does the engine crank when you try to start it, or does it maybe click and that's it, or does it maybe do nothing?

If it clicks and that's it, or if it cranks weakly, then check the battery voltage WHILE you are attempting to start it. If below 10V, your battery is dead and needs to be recharged or replaced.

If you get it started, check the battery voltage while it is running. Rev it to 3000 rpm and see if it is charging 13.5-14.5V. It won't charge at idle--that's normal.

New motorcycle batteries should be put on a charger before being installed in a bike. Especially the ones you add acid yourself. Charging them first helps them reach full potential and gives them the longest lifespan. If you just fill it and install it in the bike, it will work, but it might not last long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so it will start when FULLY charged, as in, 13+v. Right now when I try to start it you hear a click and then the starter trying to engage but failing, then silence. When I get it started it will go up to 14.5 v when cranking the throttle. I can't check right now because dead, but if I remember correctly, last time I checked the voltage while starting it it went down to about 9.6v

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will probably do that. I'll report back after to inform whether it fixed the problem. Appreciate your advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts