Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys! I was recently trying to figure out how to make my sv ride less like a pogo stick on the freeway, at high speeds it makes me uneasy due to the shaking (already getting new tires to help this problem). Anyways I would like a smoother ride, I do the typical commute and the occasional canyon run (track maybe soon).

Anyways I was wondering what shocks are available for my 2003 SV650s , I have tried looking for a site that says these things but no dice.

My Weight: 165 w/o gear 170ish w/ gear. I'm 5'9" (yes i'm a fatty =P)

So yeah, need some advice on some rear shocks for my 03 sv650s that I can swap out really easily, thanks!

By the way if you have any advice on what to look for when buying a used shock and what to look for, please include that too (for example, gsxr shocks on ebay).

greatly appreciated everyone :hug:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I used on 05 GSXR 1000 shock on my 03 SVS. Had no problems with it. I think I got it on Ebay for next to nothing. I'd recommend the Kawasaki ZX shock it you don't want to cut your battery tray (It's really not that hard though).

Hope that helps. It was a night and day difference just to let you know. And it saved a lot of money compared to an aftermarket replacement..

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
science,

what year/modle of a zx shock will work? will a 2003 636 work? i'd really like to not have to cut anything or modify it in one way or another for it to work/fit.

thanks. i've been wondering the same questions but haven't asked because it is not a priority for me but it's nice to have the knowledge for the future.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This should help Klyf

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=80387
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?p=634222

Keep an eye on ebay. My girl snagged an 07 ZX-10 shock for me for only $70
dam i gotta get a girl from your area dietrying, i wish i had a girl that would do that for me!

the 1st link shows the zx shock for the 06 sv650s, is the shock the same as the 2003 sv650s? The 2003 models are kinda funny since they are the 1st second gen sv's and still possess small differences from other 2nd gens like the shift lever is actually a 1st gen shift lever.

so i'm assuming these are the shocks that are compatible with the 2003 sv?

99-03 GSXR1300(Busa) 330mm 700#

04 GSXR750 332.5mm 408#

04 GSXR600 332.5mm 425#

03-04 GSXR1000 332.5mm 480#

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
dam i gotta get a girl from your area dietrying, i wish i had a girl that would do that for me!
Yea southern girls are great like that. She got my M4 and riding pants for me, too. I'm a bit spoiled by her ;D

I'm not sure if the 03 uses the same shock as the other 2nd Gen's, I would check the part numbers on ronayers.com to be positive.

8000 seems a bit high in mileage for a used shock, but I could be wrong. I think mine had around 1000 miles on it when I got it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea southern girls are great like that. She got my M4 and riding pants for me, too. I'm a bit spoiled by her ;D
the one and only southern girl i liked here in Southern California was sooo shady, she broke my heart and also highsided my sv, i think i must head to Alabama then haha (she's from Louisiana)

Anyways..... i digress ;D

So i'm pretty set on the GSXR 1000 03 shock, but the pretty new ones are running pretty expensively, some show scratches (that's ok) but some show rust?? is that ok?

also i heard you have to buy it with the dogbones or something? or is just the plain shock ok?

i hope this thing bolts right up... don't want to break out the saw =P

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New question:

I have a 2003 SV650S and just bought a 2004 636 shock for it.

Did i waste my money?
well i don't think so, the 2005 gsxr shock actually worked out perfectly in my 03 sv650s and i had to modify the battery box (very easy with a dremel) just make sure you got a breaker bar or something, i had to get efnar to use his monstrous strength to loosen the bolts lol

if you have any questions pm me

·
Registered
22 Posts
The rear shock upgrade make a big difference. I have an 03 SV650s and just swapped out the stock for a 07 ZX14 shock and it has made a vast improvement.

Some people will tell you that you need to buy a Penske or Ohillin, I did all of the calculations for spring rate etc. and as long as your shock is within about 50mm you should be fine.

Also you should look at you front suspension, as it will be very soft in comparison after the swap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, I want a Penske but that's in the future. I ordered RaceTech fork springs and heavy fork oil as well. I also opted for the Galfer SS brake lines and HH pads for the front.

Thanks for the advice. I'll report how things went.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts