Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - just purchased my bike and have a few things I'm looking for help to do. I found an owners manual online. Less than 3,000 miles on the bike.

Issues
- Stalling when idling. Seems to do it only when I'm about to put the kick stand out. Not at lights. Maybe coincidence. Seems like it's the TPS from what I've read. It needs adjusted. Should I follow anything specific like the owners manual?
- Rust in the gas tank. What do you guys use. I can drain the tank and put rust converter in there. It's light.. but starting.

Want to modify
- stock exhaust. I'm thinking slip on Delkevic, m4, or two brothers. Any opinions?
- handle bar swap - modified triple clamp with risers for new bars. Then, if needed new cables. Any to do's?
- I'm only 5'6" is it advisable to drop the rear any way with the preload? I'm guessing it's better to just use the foot pegs if needed or put a different shock in there?

Advisable maintenance - especially info on the front forks. Links to oils, filters and etc would be helpful that you guys use.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
520 Posts
Hi Ajt, welcome to SVR. You found a beautiful bike. For the tank rust I used POR15, and was very happy. Just be sure to follow the directions, and have patience. Good luck.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Welcome! Beautiful bike, keep in mind the 2003 is an in-betweener in the generations. Many parts are '03 specific. As to the issues:
Stalling. There are how-to's on the TPS. Before that I would exhaust the maintenance items such as air filter (go with stock), fresh fluids and service items etc. Then you have a baseline to measure against. You may have already done this but it's the best place to start. Follow the factory service manual available all over the place as a free download. It's very handy. I assume it's stalling before you put the kickstand down... this bike will kill the engine if you drop the kickstand in gear. "Safety".
Rust. If it's light, I would attempt a chemical rinse with some sort of abrasive depending on the severity. Some have used screws sloshed around in the tank with vinegar. Coatings are a last resort but I've done them successfully. This sounds like it just needs a clean. It's helpful to run an auxiliary fuel filter right after cleaning just to monitor what is coming out of the tank.
Exhaust. My opinion is always to leave that untouched. That bike looks great as is but it's yours so you do you! That being said the PO of my '07 installed a Yoshi RS3 and it sounds very nice.
Handlebar swap. How-to's everywhere. It's way more $$ than just the bars and triple. Brake lines will be the most $$, plus the cables you mentioned. Depending on the bars you can easily get into the $200-300 range by the time that project is done and it's arguable as to whether it's worth it or not. The clipons are very comfortable once you get used to them. A set of tank grips like Stompgrips or Techspecs do wonders for removing weight from the wrists.
Lowering links are common for the rear. Remember to lower the front (in the triples) equally to maintain geometry. Don't lower it much... and inch or so is probably all you want. Lower seats are available from what I hear and that would be a safer option. There is a set for sale here.
Front forks. Check out Race Tech and Sonic Springs for spring weights and oil types. They have maintenance info there as well. Damper rod forks are very easy to service (and kinda fun) so spend a little time on youtube researching. I have a write-up here somewhere of doing some basic fork upgrades, I'll see if I can find it.
You didn't mention this, but tires should also be on the list. Tires have a DOT code stamped on them if you're not aware. For example, a code of 5220 would mean the tire was made in the 52nd week of 2020. Obviously, the newer the better. I have found tires with plenty of tread that are 5yo or older to be pretty slippery. I try to keep mine within a year or two of new. I have found really good deals on sets of Pirelli Angels on Ebay for $200/pair and they are always within the last 6mos on manufacture's dates. I've also run quite a few tires on these and found the Angels to be great for my purposes (hot and dry canyons: no rain here in SoCal). If you run in the wet, you have my sympathy, and I can recommend Road 5s for that but they cost a lot more.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Congratulations, nice looking bike. As previously stated follow the service manual and change fluids. Many overlook brake fluid, don't it will absorb moisture even sitting in the garage, will save time and money latter. Easy fork to work on and lots of information here, figure out the budget and go from there, simple oil weight change or Traxxion Dynamics AR25 conversion?

For slip-ons Delkevic and Black Widow are good values, lower cost and good quality, they also offer options for length & shape, longer has a deeper sound and not as loud. Two Brothers will be loud, M4 is a quality product. Don't expect a power difference, might be a slight change but louder may think it's faster.

If you're putting the kickstand down with the bike running and in gear, there's a safety switch to cut the motor off.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Stalling could just be your idle speed being too low. I keep mine between 1,300-1,500. The adjuster screw is on the left side of the bike in the triangle (gap in the frame) under the center of the tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys - just purchased my bike and have a few things I'm looking for help to do. I found an owners manual online. Less than 3,000 miles on the bike.

Issues
- Stalling when idling. Seems to do it only when I'm about to put the kick stand out. Not at lights. Maybe coincidence. Seems like it's the TPS from what I've read. It needs adjusted. Should I follow anything specific like the owners manual?
- Rust in the gas tank. What do you guys use. I can drain the tank and put rust converter in there. It's light.. but starting.

Want to modify
- stock exhaust. I'm thinking slip on Delkevic, m4, or two brothers. Any opinions?
- handle bar swap - modified triple clamp with risers for new bars. Then, if needed new cables. Any to do's?
- I'm only 5'6" is it advisable to drop the rear any way with the preload? I'm guessing it's better to just use the foot pegs if needed or put a different shock in there?

Advisable maintenance - especially info on the front forks. Links to oils, filters and etc would be helpful that you guys use.

View attachment 59100
You do realise that the bike has a switch that cuts the engine if you put the stand down without being in neutral or put the bike into gear before you put the stand up? Not trying to make you feel stupid just eliminating the easy things first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts