Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow SV Riders,

I picked myself up a project. It's a 2003 SV650s with only 20000km on it...problem is, it's been sitting for years! Previous owner parked it and time just flew. I bought it for just over $1000 (comes with a rear Ohlins) and am trying to bring it back to life.

I'm trying to do everything on a budget...yes, I could throw money and it and have it going but I'm trying to keep the costs down.

Tank was very rusty - filled with vinegar for a few days and it did a great job cleaning it out.
Brakes need to be rebuilt
new Tires
chain - o rings are falling out after I cleaned it.

So I took the tank off, filled with vinegar and also disassembled the fuel pump. Fuel pump was also filled with solidified gas and varnish and rust. I cleaned it the best I could, reassembled, new plugs and oil, fresh gas and fired her up. Took a bit to get her going, but she was alive!

She is running extremely rough. Air filter is dirty but no animals have made residence in it. I'm thinking it's still the fuel pump, as the regulator piece on the top of the pump was rusty. If you push on that piece, is there a movable part? I dropped a lot of those parts into a water-based rust remover.

I've been reading about a high pressure fuel filter and I definitely did not clean that out.

So she fires up now, runs well for about 10 seconds, then starts to sputter. She needs throttle to stay alive...some white smoke coming out the tail pipe as well.

Any thoughts from the other wrenchers out there?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds like continued fuel cleaning will be needed. Forum members here have posted great videos on cleaning the fuel pump assembly and injectors that will be very helpful to you. Have fun, I hope it comes out looking fresh!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that!

So I ended up running a fuel pump flow test and it actually passed spec with flying colors. I ended up pulling off the air filter, which was quite dirty, and ran without a filter and that made a huge difference. Idled smooth and no more sputtering. Upon visual inspection, the filter looked dirty but nothing crazy... would it make that much of a difference? Are SVs sensitive to dirty air filters?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Replace all the rubber vacuum caps and boots to the throttle bodies for a 2003. Mine had cracked everything.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I rebuilt the brakes, front and back...the bike stops now! Yay! I also POR15 sealed the tank as the previous rust was causing issues. So back to the running rough issue...it's still there. Bike runs well when it first starts up, but when the bike warms up, it starts to run rough. Idle is low and the bike stalls out, particularly after rev'ing it. I took the bike around the street a couple of times, but had to stay on the throttle because if I let go, the bike would stall. With the air filter removed, I can see small puffs of white smoke coming out of the PAIR system...not sure that's normal... Help!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Adjust your idle speed to 1300-1400 RPM's. There sold be a white plastic phillips slotted knob on the left side of the bike below the fuel tank

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Jeff. I will try that tomorrow. I didn't consider that as the previous owner told me the bike ran perfect prior to sitting it for many years. I guess conditions change affecting idle, or else why would there be an adjustment screw? I'll give that a go tomorrow although I think the problem is more serious for some reason.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
If it ran fine before it should not require adjustment to do so again. Sounds like you haven't resolved your fueling issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it ran fine before it should not require adjustment to do so again. Sounds like you haven't resolved your fueling issues.
Kenneth, you are bang on. Figured out what it was...embarrassingly, I did not put enough gas in the tank. Bike runs well now. At first there was quite a bit of smoking but it seems to have settled down. Fresh coolant in there now.

Couple more questions:

The dust cap on the forks have really degraded. They are crumbling. The seals aren't leaking or anything, so hopefully that can be something I tackle during the winter when the bike is tucked away. There was definitely rust on the forks which I got rid of with WD40 and 1500 grit sandpaper, but can still feel some pitting. Will that have long term effects?

The chain is in rough shape. As I was washing it with kerosene and a brush, a few of the O rings started breaking off. I will probably have to take care of that sooner rather than later, right? Or can I wait if I keep it well lubricated?

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
If it were mine I'd be planning on a FE swap or upgrade this winter - so I'd just ensure the oil levels are correct and finish the season without wasting any more time or energy on them. They are junk, not only because of the pitting you describe but also because such price-point damper rod forks have no place on a sport bike. You have many options, from sliding early CBR 600 or GSXR 600 legs into the existing triples to complete swaps to having a nice set of stockers modified with cartridges. Ebay is your friend here, along with the accumulated wisdom to be found herein. The chain, however, is toast and should be replaced along with both sprockets before you ride it very far. It seems I bought an OEM equivalent DID and sprockets kit online somewhere for around $160ish last year. Hope this helps.

Congrats on getting it running!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts