Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I joined this forum while searching for an sv650 for my first street bike. I finally found one and its great. I purchased it on april 1st of this year. It was solid all around with minor cosmetic issues.

Anyways so I was able to ride the bike for a few days since the bike came with a worn tire. I went to a local shop to buy a tire and have it changed and they told me that the rear bearing was all chewed up!

Anyways my questions is how often do you change the rear bearing and the front bearing? How do you know its bad without taking it off??

The bike is a 2003 sv650 and has 18k miles. Recent tune up, and fluid changes were done.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would imagine checking how smooth the wheels rotate while in neutral would be a clue. Sounds to me like the previous owner probably tried to remove one of the bearings (there should be two back there) without the proper tool or know how, and busted it up. If you keep things clean back there you shouldn't have to worry about them too often.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah well from what the mechanics have told me is that 18k is good amount of miles for a rear bearing. When they removed it and checked it is when it came apart. Anyways I wont be riding till next week when the part comes in.

Does anyone know about the front bearings and if I should change that as welll???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts