Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This accident happened a few days ago. As I was riding the chain broke and caused other parts to also break along with it. The bike started to leak oil which I suspect is coming from the broken stator cover. I provided a picture of small metal pieces which I do not know where they go. I just got this bike a month ago with 20900 miles.

·
Registered
343 Posts
As Mad stated: clip masters are bad news. Lots of people ignore chain maintenance and lots of people wind up with broken pieces after the chain gives out, looks like the PO did this to your bike unfortunately. The good news is, usually after we learn a lesson the hard way (like this!) we don't make the mistake again :)
Ride safe and spend $150 on a nice o-ring chain and sprockets that you can maintain for many miles to come!

·
Premium Member
'18 SV650
48 Posts
This would be a good time to go through 100% of the maintenance items listed in the manual. Most owners - and many moto techs - ignore more than a few of the listed items, or just give a cursory glance.

It's likely that the chain would have failed a proper inspection prior to its failing. What other failures may be about to happen?

·
Registered
73 Posts
If a chain is dry, lacking any lubrication it has failed my inspection.

Regarding chain lubrication, been a cyclist for many years, currently have 8 bikes at our home, mtbs, cx, road,... Over the years taking care of the chains on all those bikes I've come to a system that works with less time and with better results, chains/drivetrains last. Last two years i've been treating my motorcycle chain the same way.

I now use a paste, brushed on with a modified tooth brush. I don't use kerosene/brushes to clean between lubes anymore, maybe once a year.
Now I just wipe down the chain with a thick towel several times between re-lubing which is about every 400 miles.
I don't ride in the wet, good clean conditions. This has made chain maintenance lots easier.

Have a favorite lubing method?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts