Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

2003 SV Fuel Capacity and Backup

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  pne 
#1 ·
It seems that I get about 100 miles before my gas light comes on. Even then, It only takes about 2.5 gallons to fill up.
Does anyone know how many miles you can go after the light is on? I don't figure it should come on when theres 2 gallons left in the tank

#3 ·
2003 (sadly) does not have the blinking-then-solid scheme. It just goes solid at about 1 gallon. It may turnon for a moment or two before this as gas sloshes around, but there is not a steady blinking like there is on the gen1 and most of the other 2nd gens.

#5 ·
To the op, I think you are not filling it all the way or there's a big ol' bondo-filled dent in your tank or perhaps a kilo of coke.
Edit: and i'll get anywhere from 140-185 miles before the light comes on, depending on how much I squeezed into the tank and how hard/fast I'm riding.

#11 ·
well everything, I'm pretty sure, is stock. The light came on today and I filled it back up with 2.8 gallons of gas so maybe I'm not filling it up where it needs to be. Then again maybe I want to find that kilo of coke and sell it and make a ton of money.

As far as blinking goes, a solid light is better than my last bike where I would be riding down the highway and it would just die, I had to reach over while holding in the clutch to switch it to reserve while cars where gaining behind me. That's fun.

I'm great grateful for my solid light.

#13 ·
My '03 hits 140 miles on the trip meter and the light comes on. My bike runs out of gas at about 198 miles on the trip meter. I check it every tank as I reset my trip meters at every fill up. I have run the bike out of gas purposely on 2 occassions to get a benchmark on range with my riding habits, which are conservative, and it's been the same within a couple miles each time out. I just carry a 24oz MSR camp stove fuel bottle with me in my Cortech tail bag.

And as mentioned above, I tilt the bike to the left when I top off and I'll click the gas pump 3 times before I quit trying to get anymore in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.