Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a great Valentine's Day with my girlfriend. Got home about midnight and we went to bed. I went out to my car in the morning and someone had stolen my 2002 Black SV650. Actually, he stole my dad's SV cause it was in his name. I live in an gated apartment complex with only covered parking. It had a cover and disc lock on the bike. That is really nothing when two guys can throw it in the back of a truck and be gone in less than a couple minutes. My apartment has no video surveillance so they are of no help. Pops filed the report with Metro here in LV. Don't know where the old girl will end up but please keep your eyes peeled.

2002 SV650/Black
VIN: JS1VP52A322103158
Cali Plate: 16D6667
Sub. Mach. Bars and a nifty chrome oil filter are the only real stand out things on the bike. Oh and it has a Foothill College parking sticker on the license plate light.

Luckily it was fully covered. It's just a pisser cause I've lived here, in this complex, for almost 3 years. Now I am 3 months from moving back to Cali and the bike is gone.

Anyway, look out for good deals on parts. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
That sucks donkey dick. Friggin' thieves... :mad:

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
If you live in a gated complex, somebody knows who did it. Somebody in the complex either stole it themselves, allowed the thieves in, or the thieves snuck in behind somebody. Either way, somebody knows something.
Ask your complex to see all entries and exits in the last 24 hours. If they won't give it to you , see if the cops assigned to the case got a copy of it. If they did, they may let you take a look at it on the sly.  I'd look specifically at exits in the time frame from when you came home and when you realized it was gone. Start poking around the names on the list. I'll bet you can narrow down the list of likely suspects just from that. See who on the list owns a truck for one. There shouldn't be too many in those hours other than people leaving for work.
Read people when you talk to them. Most people have shitty lying skills, especially when they're caught off-guard by somebody poking around. Most likely, the bastards think you'll just call the cops, make a report, turn it in to you insurance and that's all.
Pressure your complex to install a camera. No facility worth a shit has a gate and doesn't have a camera. In all likelihood, you'll really have to lean on them though. Most rental or condo companies don't want to have to fork over for anything.
Don't rely on the police to find your ride. Most places are too overloaded to be able to devote much time and attention to your case. You've got to be pro-active.

Theives are assholes. Now go out and get an alarm and Lojack.

And make sure you post this on the SoCal board.

·
Registered
415 Posts
i have never lived in an apartment where you had to scan to get out. Just drive up to the gate and it opens.

Good advice if it is like that, but my experiance with thefts like this is the cops really don't give two squirts. Thats what insurance is for.

Sorry to hear bro.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
mrlucky2u said:
i have never lived in an apartment where you had to scan to get out. Just drive up to the gate and it opens.
True. I should've been more clear in my ideas. Reference exit times to entrance times. You should be able to connect an exit to an entrance. If they aren't a resident, somebody either buzzed them in, gave them the code or card, or they followed their resident accomplice or an innocent, unaware/uncaring resident into the complex.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sucks to hear man. Everyday I go out to check on my bike I'm half expecting it to be gone - not because I'm a pessimist but because it's just that kind of shitty world we live in.

I have mine chained to a steel pole with a big 35 lb. chain, you should considering doing the same when you get another bike / get your SV back / have insurance buy you a new one.

Hopefully it was insured?

·
Registered
37 Posts
yo man, where do you live ? i'm on the west side and never seen a black SV. question, did you bring it to any shops to get anything done, or buy any expensive parts lately? most places ask for addresses when processing paperwork and everyone should be careful when giving that out.
but i am sorry to hear about that. will you be getting another SV? also i will keep an eye out for your black bike.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I used to live in a gated apartment complex (in Phx) also. One morning when I got ready to ride to work, I found the handle bar bent (slightly). Obviously someone tried to break the handlebar lock. This was a few days after I ran into a guy at the mailbox asking me what I was riding (I was in riding gear). In a big complex, there bound to be all kinds of people. Since then, I chained the bike to a pole every night.

Sorry to hear your loss. I have a '02 black standard also. I thought the standards are not much a target than the SVS's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks people. My complex sucks. They just went to a standard entry code so everyone's is the same. Luckily I had kept it pretty stock (except the bars and rearsets). So not to much aftermarket money gone. I was about to get a new can. Glad I procrastinated on that one. I will be hanging out on ebay this weekend and craigslist as well. The bummer is I am about to be poor cause I'm headed back to school full time. It was insured and I'll get some money back but not enough to cover what I'd want to get. I think I'll be bikeless for a couple years. Good news is I'm moving home and get to ride my cousins' and maybe my brothers bike. Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts