Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, so recently I bought a 2002 sv 650. An when I bought it first thing I learned was that it needed a starter switch. Before changing the switch all power was good. I replaced the switch. An once I reconnect the battery. I have absolutely no power at all. Anyone got any tips on where to start looking first. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm new to these types of bikes. I checked the fuses near the battery an the fuse on the starter switch an all was fine. Are there others that I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Well first thing is to check and make sure the battery hasn't randomly quit, which sometimes happens. Check that the kill switch wasnt accidentally knocked to the off position. I would check all the fuses again to be sure. Then I would check the work you just did to be sure that isn't messed up somehow--did you take the bars off the bike or just unscrew the left side controls? After the easy and obvious has been ruled out, you'd want to start checking for power all along the main circuit until you find the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try that. When I changed the the starter relay with the green 30 fuse it sparked of the frame at one point. I wonder if I could have fried a wire further up the line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also is it possible for me to bypass that switch with the 30 fuse an just be direct power

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
That "switch" is the starter relay and only turns on to power the starter motor. If you bypassed it, theoretically the starter would run continuously.

I would look again closely at the wiring you said sparked against the frame. If it was the battery side, again, test the battery. If it was after a fuse, you probably blew the fuse, so again, test the fuses.

There are a lot of "in theory" scenarios. You just have to methodically test until you find the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts