Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone cares to comment on my ongoing build, feel free to discuss. I'll make duplicate posts here.
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160428

Earlier this year I bought a 2002 SV650. I had only had a 1980 Honda CB650, and I sold it right after buying the SV. I fell in love with the SV.

I got rid of the awful aftermarket chopper mirrors and grips, made a home-made fender eliminator and put bar-end mirrors on it. I also bought and installed a Buell flyscreen. Unfortunately the bike had been dropped before I bought it, and there was a dent in the tank.

I rode the crap out of it. This bike is so much fun. Bought some bags, want to get into sport touring, going to Wisconsin in August to ride with the guys up there.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Somehow I ended up at KG Cycles website and fell in love with his 1st gen full fairing. I was never really a fan of the stock fairing on the S model but I think this full fairing just looks great. This bike is my inspiration, for some reason, I just love the way this looks:

So I bought a used one off ebay for much cheaper than new, and started gathering all the parts to make a N>S conversion. I had taken this week off from work to make a trip, but it fell through so I used the time off to paint all the parts. I converted half of my garage into a paint booth and got everything primed. I figured since I’ve got to sand the tank to repair the dent, I might as well repaint it a color that I like. Nothing against yellow, but I like blue.

Since I was repainting everything, I took the time to bondo the dent in the tank. Being my first time messing with bondo, it isn’t perfect, but it’s better than it was. Did I mention it’s my first time painting anything with a paint gun also? It didn’t turn out too bad, there’s some runs, and the paint lifted in a couple places. I don’t know why, maybe some bad primer spots or something.
Tomorrow I’ll be wetsanding the clear coat, and start putting the bike back together. If I had to do it all over again… I wouldn’t. Prepping and painting these fairings have been a huge pain. Bodywork and paint is not my talent, I guess that comes with experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts