Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

After storage for winter of '20/'21 she had a small backfire thing every now and then, upon deceleration, but mostly ran great for the '21 season. This time she is sounding really rough.

Constant backfiring in deceleration and some at idle. Nothing with throttle on.

• 33k miles (I've owned not quite 2 yrs and got at 30k)
  • Ran out old gas and filled with new (92 octane)
  • Idle sits at around 1400 when hot. I adjusted it around a bit to see if change but nothing (900 - 2000)
  • scorpion exhaust but no clue model/yr. came with bike. Different exhaust?
  • have many tools and mechanically inclined, although mostly cars and new to bikes

Don't really have the money to be dumping into her so willing to do the work and purchase parts for one more good season.

Any advice welcome. If anyone is local, even better. Colorado Springs, CO.

Thank you!
-Meghann

·
Registered
260 Posts
Clean the carburetors. in particular idle circuit and pilot jets. That's the best way, run some mechanic in a bottle through the fuel system and it might help. Perhaps Chemtool B12 or Seafoam. Fuel sitting in the carburetors is a sure way to have problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clean the carburetors. in particular idle circuit and pilot jets. That's the best way, run some mechanic in a bottle through the fuel system and it might help. Perhaps Chemtool B12 or Seafoam. Fuel sitting in the carburetors is a sure way to have problems.
Thank you! 😊 I will start there and see what happens!

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
I did the same, and my clear fuel filter was nice and white. It wasn't until I emptied a pint of gas from the tank into a clear glass bow and let it evaporate that I could see the problem. Here is the gas after evaporating a few hours.
Liquid Tableware Fluid Ingredient Water

After it evaporated, I wiped it with a paper towel and found this.
Rectangle Grey Wood Beige Flooring

Intrigued, I sloshed a quart of Chemtool B-12 in the tank and let it sit over night. I emptied this into the clear bowl and found this.
Tableware Liquid Drinkware Dishware Ingredient

Yuck! After this, I cleaned the tank with phosphoric acid, then lined it with POR12. Rebuilt carbs (for the third time), been purring like a kitten ever since.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Reactions: Geo Smith

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buy some fuel cleaner like Seafoam/STP/Wynns and put some in the tank and take the bike for an ,"Italian Tune-up" e.g a really good blast out.

Sometimes when bikes have been stood this is all they need :D
This is exactly where I started and so far she sounds so much better!

Used Seafoam and "drove it like I stole it" 😉 an hour out and back. Adjusted the idle up a touch (around 1500/1600) and it rarely pops now.

Thank you everyone! 😊💖

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
This is exactly where I started and so far she sounds so much better!

Used Seafoam and "drove it like I stole it" 😉 an hour out and back. Adjusted the idle up a touch (around 1500/1600) and it rarely pops now.

Thank you everyone! 😊💖
With the E10 fuel now in our pumps over here like over there I use an egg-cup full of fuel cleaner every other tank. Done this for years and it keeps the fuel lines and carbs clear and I suspect even may stabilize the fuel as I've never had stale fuel problems even when I used to ,"Winterize" my bikes :)

PS
Idle speed should be between 1100/1400 rpm usually. Too high and it can make getting neutral a PITA :O

1 - 9 of 9 Posts