Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that my brake light is not working. When I apply the front brake nothing happens and when I apply the rear brake nothing happens. I checked the bulbs and they appear to be in working condition. Before I bring it in to the shop and spend money, I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had this happen to my front brake. For both brakes check the brake light switch. Go to any parts website with a parts diagram and its an easy find. best of luck

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Your rear brake pedal switch may be stuck closed thus it appears that you have no brake lights. Just a possibility. How do you know the bulbs are okay? They are double filament, have you actually tested them?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
+1 to double checking the bulbs, half of mine was out when i got it and after looking i thought it was due to some faulty wiring for a license plate light but it turned out it was just the 2nd filament in the bulb had gone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help everyone.

I got the brake light to work with the rear brake lever. Although I cannot seem to find any information on how to get the front brake lever to activate the brake light. It does not seem to have the same switch as the rear brake lever. Does anyone have a step by step guide or instructions on how to fix this?

Is there an adjustment on the front like there is on the rear? If so can anyone tell me how to do it or does anyone have a link on how to fix this?

once again thanks everyone for the help
and the bulbs work I checked them in my fathers tractor and both elements lit up.

;D

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
As you found out there are two brake switches, front and rear. The front switch does not have an adjustment. Check the wires going to the switch and the switch itself. There are two wires going to the switch, one black and one black with a red tracer. If you have a multimeter, you can check for continuity(ohms) between the two wires when the brake lever is depressed. There should be continuity between the two wires when activated. Check the action of the brake lever itself with regards to activating the switch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The above poster is dead on. If the steps with the multimeter check out and the wires are fine, then try replacing the front brake light switch. Mine crapped out before and I got the part from the local dealer for ~$25, popped it in within 5 min and problem was solved.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts