Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for any info.

I bought the wifey an SV 650 last year for her B day (first bike of her own). She loves the bike but she wanted to be able to tell what gear she was in, so I ordered a GIPro X type gear indicator. I am not one who is very good at multitasking and in doing so (working on my Busa and her SV at the same time) I think I fried the cluster.

Everything on the bike was working before I started this install.
I lifted the tank and removed the seat, I hooked up the 3 wire coupler that is located inside the frame toward the front of the bike just behind the steering head. No problems with that, now I mis-read the directions and hooked up the other small single wire to a light green wire that comes out from the output gear area instead of the correct one by the sub frame. I noticed it when I went to take it for a ride and noticed the tach was not working. I put the bike on a stand and noticed that the speedo would not work when I spun the front wheel. I unhooked everything and put it back to stack form and neither the speedo or Tach will work. I took the cluster off and took the back off and did not notice any burnt areas on the board at all, not saying it's all good though. I did find out that the bike had been wrecked as the back plate of the cluster is cracked in a few places, but was repaired with an epoxy. I have a manual but it is for a non S model. Any body have any suggestions to tell if the cluster is bad or other suggestions of what could be wrong here? Other than keep my butt away from the wifey's bike.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Did you do the install with the ignition turned off? After you installed the wiring, did you turn on the ignition to see if the Gipro display was receiving power? Did you try to program the Gipro on the race stand or just do it while riding? Check fuse #5, maybe you blew a fuse. Did you connect to the Green with black tracer the first time? Fuse #5 is a 10A fuse, btw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you do the install with the ignition turned off?
Install was done with the ignition off.
After you installed the wiring, did you turn on the ignition to see if the Gipro display was receiving power?
Yes, the Gipro was receiving power and going through the "6-5-4-3-2-1-L" sequence.
Did you try to program the Gipro on the race stand or just do it while riding?
I was going to ride it and noticed the speedo and tach were not working. Since the SV speed sensor is on the front wheel you have to ride the bike to program it. At least that's how I read/understood it.
Check fuse #5, maybe you blew a fuse.
All fuses are good.
Did you connect to the Green with black tracer the first time?
No, light green with no tracer. It has a green 2 wire connector with a black wire with yellow tracer.
Fuse #5 is a 10A fuse, btw.
I checked all the fuses both 10A and 15A.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Sorry about asking how you programmed the Gipro, my unit works off a rear wheel sensor. Not applicable to your SV, I have a Triumph. I'm looking at the wiring diagram for your bike, I had the same bike, and trying to find a 2 wire connector with one LG wire and one B/Y. I have found so far only three B/Y wires, two from the clutch switch and one from the ICU box that goes to the front coil and then to the tach. I'll keep looking. Did you test the fuses for continuity or just a visual check? You should also check to see if you have power going to fuse 5 and leaving fuse 5 as well. I'm not sure how complete or accurate this wiring diagram is, although it's from the official Suzuki repair manual. The only Lg wires that I could find were for the right side front/rear turn signals. What wires go to the connector at the subframe that you were supposed to hook into? The Gipro works using rpm, speed and gear position during programming. The unit hooks inline to the speed sensor harness which you found up front and then requires a power via a red wire and ground via black if similar to mine. Then it needs the rpm signal via either the ECU or coil. So I don't know what this light green wire goes to for the SV or the other green you were supposed to use.

One other thought. There is a multilock connector to the gauge cluster that you probably detached when checking the gauge cluster. The Red wire I believe comes from fuse #5 which I also believe powers the meters. Check for power at the Red pin on the harness side of the mutli connector with the ignition on. I'm also wondering if this is a ground problem. Did you accidentally pull on something else perhaps? Odd that you would loose both meters since they don't really share anything except power at the guage cluster. You didn't go near the front coil did you? Just groping for suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about asking how you programmed the Gipro, my unit works off a rear wheel sensor. Not applicable to your SV, I have a Triumph.
No apologies needed here, remember I am the one looking for help. ;)

I'm looking at the wiring diagram for your bike, I had the same bike, and trying to find a 2 wire connector with one LG wire and one B/Y. I have found so far only three B/Y wires, two from the clutch switch and one from the ICU box that goes to the front coil and then to the tach. I'll keep looking.
The pic shows the wire I first connected it to. Now just past that connector it does turn to a dark green wire. If that makes a difference.

Did you test the fuses for continuity or just a visual check? You should also check to see if you have power going to fuse 5 and leaving fuse 5 as well.
All fuses were checked with a test light, and tested good.

I'm not sure how complete or accurate this wiring diagram is, although it's from the official Suzuki repair manual. The only Lg wires that I could find were for the right side front/rear turn signals.
The manual I have is off the net as I have not gotten off my butt to order one for this bike. So mine show probably the same as yours do. And I cannot figure out where it goes either.

What wires go to the connector at the subframe that you were supposed to hook into?

The Gipro works using rpm, speed and gear position during programming. The unit hooks inline to the speed sensor harness which you found up front and then requires a power via a red wire and ground via black if similar to mine. Then it needs the rpm signal via either the ECU or coil. So I don't know what this light green wire goes to for the SV or the other green you were supposed to use.
The one for the SV has 4 wires total. 3 are in a connector that hooks to the connector behind the steering head. and the one single wire goes to the signal generator wire.

One other thought. There is a multilock connector to the gauge cluster that you probably detached when checking the gauge cluster. The Red wire I believe comes from fuse #5 which I also believe powers the meters. Check for power at the Red pin on the harness side of the mutli connector with the ignition on.
the fourth wire from the left is solid red and has power when the key is on.

I'm also wondering if this is a ground problem. Did you accidentally pull on something else perhaps? Odd that you would loose both meters since they don't really share anything except power at the guage cluster.
It might be, but as far as pulling on stuff I don't think I did. The lights work on the right side of the cluster though. Seems if it was a ground issue it would be all or nothing.

You didn't go near the front coil did you? Just groping for suggestions.
I did not mess with that.

I appreciate the help here a great deal. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Okay, I know the signal generator connector that you were supposed to splice into. That's how you're getting the rpm signal to the Gipro. I do remember the first connector, green, on my bike, but never looked into where the wires go. The Lg wire becomes dark green, what about the B/Y, does that stay the same or change as well? Maybe you can continue to trace those wires further along the harness. I'll look at the wire diagram. Not all connectors are shown on the wire diagram. As far as wire diagrams go, not very complete. This is puzzling.

The first green connector, do the Lg and B/Y wires go to the side stand switch perhaps and the dark green to the flasher/side stand relay under the seat? The service manual shows the side stand connector up below the crankcase breather box below the airbox and not green. So maybe my thought about this connector is wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I know the signal generator connector that you were supposed to splice into. That's how you're getting the rpm signal to the Gipro. I do remember the first connector, green, on my bike, but never looked into where the wires go. The Lg wire becomes dark green, what about the B/Y, does that stay the same or change as well?
The Black/Yellow tracer wire turns into a Black with white tracer.
What in the heck did Suvuki do to this wiring system? :facepalm:

Maybe you can continue to trace those wires further along the harness.
I'll try and trace it a bit later. But it goes into the harness.

I'll look at the wire diagram. Not all connectors are shown on the wire diagram. As far as wire diagrams go, not very complete. This is puzzling.
I totally agree. I've worked on bikes for many years and this is the first time I am really stumped.

The first green connector, do the Lg and B/Y wires go to the side stand switch perhaps and the dark green to the flasher/side stand relay under the seat?
I can take a look later and see.

The service manual shows the side stand connector up below the crankcase breather box below the airbox and not green. So maybe my thought about this connector is wrong.
In your manual, you don't happen to have the schematic for the S model cluster do you? Or a test procedure to see it it is bad?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The service manual gives you the pin location and description for the cluster multilock connector and a procedure for testing the idiot lights, but nothing to test the actual meter. Knowing what pin and wire goes to the cluster, you could poke through the insulation of the harness wire and test for power while the bike was running using a pin with your meter probe. Pin #14 is the speed sensor signal and Pin #4 is the tach signal. You might need to use one of the grounds perhaps Pin # 16. There is a procedure for testing the voltage from the speed sensor with the connector unplugged, but that requires making a test unit as explained in the manual which I have posted as well as the gauge connector schematic. The only 2 wire plug that I could find with a Gr and a B/W was for the side stand switch. That is why I asked if the B/Y became something else. That green connector might still be the side stand connector unless you can find a white connector higher up the frame below the airbox. The only way to really test the cluster is to swap in a known working unit, I had an extra one but eventually sold.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Here are some pics from the service manual for the gauge multilock connector and a testing procedure for the speed sensor. I doubt the speed sensor is faulty or the signal from the tach. I hope these are large enough for you to view. A double click will enlarge a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
One other thing, the gauge illumination and the meters may use a different ground in the cluster. There are two grounds in the cluster, one is power and one is signal. I know this is the case for my Triumph digital gauge cluster. You might want to test the ground pins for continuity with the battery negative if that is a correct way to test the grounds. Pin #s 8 & 16.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts