Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im writing this after blowing my 3rd battery in less than a year. :angry5: The first time it went, it basically fried everything with it including every led in my taillight. I replaced the regulator/rectifier, starter relay, computer, all new bulbs, and battery. Some point in there, a shop tested the voltage and said it was good(Im skeptical), but anyway. So the battery that just went again (on top of a mountain:cussing:) literally was boiling and had expanded the top outward. A new battery gets it started, but they're is obviously an underlying issue. Any thoughts would be much appreciated?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Really only two main reasons why batteries bulge apart from being internally shorted. Either it's not properly venting, or the electrolyte inside is boiling.The electrolyte boiling is usually caused from a high amparage situation, such as a loose conection, or overcharging. If you know for sure it's not overcharging check conections on the grounds.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Check the battery voltage while running at 5Krpm. The reading should be ~ 13.5-15VDC. If higher, you have your answer. If you replaced the R/R with an oem style, you may have another overcharging issue from the R/R.

·
Super Moderator
8,915 Posts
... So the battery that just went again ... literally was boiling and had expanded the top outward....
Definitely overcharging. Looks like you got a string of bad R/Rs or it was never truly fixed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did replace it with a brand new plug and play R/R ($130). I threw a new battery in it and it actually wont start now. It turns over strong, but wont fire up. I wonder if it fried the computer...again :violent1:

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I did replace it with a brand new plug and play R/R ($130).
This part worries me. This time last year when you were inquiring about your electrical issues you were specifically told that our R/R's (regulator/rectifier) are crap and you seemed dismissive of that in the thread.
Sounds like you didn't follow the advice to NOT use an OEM R/R.
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149317

You've been advised of what we suspect the issue is.
Will you now listen or will you dismiss it again?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This part worries me. This time last year when you were inquiring about your electrical issues you were specifically told that our R/R's (regulator/rectifier) are crap and you seemed dismissive of that in the thread.
Sounds like you didn't follow the advice to NOT use an OEM R/R.
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149317

You've been advised of what we suspect the issue is.
Will you now listen or will you dismiss it again?
Actually what someone very loosely said in the prior post, was "I recommend using a different R/R.".

They didn't say the the oem ones were no good, and they didn't back up using a different r/r with any reasoning. From what was written, all it looked like was that someone didn't want to pay for a new one. I find it strange that you're amazed I didn't follow the advise of an unexplained recommendation. I will listen, yes, but I won't blindly follow every piece of advise if thats what your suggesting.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Actually what someone very loosely said in the prior post, was "I recommend using a different R/R.".

They didn't say the the oem ones were no good, and they didn't back up using a different r/r with any reasoning. From what was written, all it looked like was that someone didn't want to pay for a new one. I find it strange that you're amazed I didn't follow the advise of an unexplained recommendation. I will listen, yes, but I won't blindly follow every piece of advise if thats what your suggesting.
Well prior to your post in 2011, it has been documented NUMEROUS times that our factory R/R's are junk and they WILL eventually fail.
You neglecting to follow-up on the validity of the recommendation, even though it's been discussed at length within a thread that was posted 2yrs prior to your question (and stickied I may add) does not make his recommendation any less valid.
Nobody suggested you blindly follow, the information was already there but you just chose to dismiss it altogether.

Good luck fixing your issue.
People have tried to help you and if you want to dismiss it again, we'll be here to tell you about the R/R again next year. ;D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well prior to your post in 2011, it has been documented NUMEROUS times that our factory R/R's are junk and they WILL eventually fail.
You neglecting to follow-up on the validity of the recommendation, even though it's been discussed at length within a thread that was posted 2yrs prior to your question (and stickied I may add) does not make his recommendation any less valid.
Nobody suggested you blindly follow, the information was already there but you just chose to dismiss it altogether.
Im very sorry I didnt find a post from two years ago, on a site that has hundreds of thousands of posts, about a specific topic. I didn't dismiss the entire recommendation, you're acting like I didn't replace the R/R, I did, I just replaced it with a new part instead of a different makes version. The first one lasted 10 years, I'd say that doesn't warrant enough failure to say screw the entire company. Now as much as I appreciate your off topic he said/you said remarks, when you could've just helped with the topic at hand, I think you've been so helpful that you probably never need "help" again.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I did replace it with a brand new plug and play R/R ($130). I threw a new battery in it and it actually wont start now. It turns over strong, but wont fire up. I wonder if it fried the computer...again :violent1:
Check for spark. If you know someone with a 1gen SV you could swap out the ignitor for testing purposes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought I'd post the final outcome. So after batteries blowing up, bulbs getting toasted along with computers, I bought a fresh computer, and spliced in a new R/R from a cbr. Tested it at an idle and after riding it for a bit, voltage checks out perfect. Been problem free ever since. Going on 6 months. On a side note, Im never buying a Yuasa battery again. They're $120 a pop! I bought a non-name $40 gel battery off ebay and its been perfect.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I thought I'd post the final outcome. So after batteries blowing up, bulbs getting toasted along with computers, I bought a fresh computer, and spliced in a new R/R from a cbr. Tested it at an idle and after riding it for a bit, voltage checks out perfect. Been problem free ever since. Going on 6 months. On a side note, Im never buying a Yuasa battery again. They're $120 a pop! I bought a non-name $40 gel battery off ebay and its been perfect.
What year and cbr model R/R did you use? Is it a plug and play unit? how difficult is this to install? Thanks

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
...just fix the bike and keep it's personal life out of it!! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts