Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum. I bought an SV at the start of summer.

I've just got back from work and on the way home the needles have been bouncing around erratically on the dials, the lights on the dash are flickering, the fuel light keeps coming on, even though its full and the engine splutter a little from low rev when you pull the throttle back.

Only things new to the bike are chain and sprockets and a new back tyre.

I've tried searching and found some similar issues from years ago, but nothing fully answered.

Hope someone can help. I thought fuse somewhere, or battery connection issue.

Thanks in advance
Rik

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd do some tests on the battery especially a load test. I had similar amounts of fuckery on my Ninja 250 and it was because the battery was struggling under load.

I've had the needle bounce erratically a few minutes before an electrical short happened one time. I don't know why though.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Check your charging voltage too. 1st gen SVs have notoriously unreliable regulator/rectifiers. If it goes bad and overcharges, you might fry your ECU. If it goes bad and undercharges, you may be stranded. Upgrade to a MOSFET type if yours is still original, even if it tests ok.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Check your charging voltage too. 1st gen SVs have notoriously unreliable regulator/rectifiers. If it goes bad and overcharges, you might fry your ECU. If it goes bad and undercharges, you may be stranded. Upgrade to a MOSFET type if yours is still original, even if it tests ok.
Ah yes. The R/R is a component to check for sure. I heard it is quite common for them to fail after 30,000 KM.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ah yes. The R/R is a component to check for sure. I heard it is quite common for them to fail after 30,000 KM.
Just had mine fail on me a couple weeks ago. I was broke and needed it fixed asap, so I got a cheap replacement on amazon for a GSXR600 (was hard to find one with the same connector and this one had a lot of SV guys in the reviews). It has been working flawlessly ever since and I only paid $30 or so. I plan to get a nice one I can trust more in the future, but for now that got me back on the road. Until last weekend when I found a nail in my rear tire. I can't catch a break lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all the assistance. I'll get myself a tester and see what the crack is. Bike is still starting fine, just don't wanna get stranded while I'm out. I will post my findings and anything else. Like what was said, if anyone finds this thread a help then its all good.

I will keep posted.

Cheers boys

·
Super Moderator
6,984 Posts
Check the battery and charging voltage for sure, as well as all the terminals and grounds to make sure they are snug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts