Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to preface I'm really new to riding, I had a GS500F prior to my new (to me) 2000 SV650. Previous owner gave comprehensive list of issues with the bike, and most were cosmetic.

This morning I went for a little 20 minute ride and when I was done I noticed smoke coming off the exhaust pipe right under the oil fill. It looks like there's oil residue around that case as well. I've attached pictures and a video via Google Drive file.

Advice and Help welcomed. Just wanna make sure this isn't a catastrophic failure. Bike is running great btw, just a little difficult to get into neutral.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks like a leaky clutch cover. Looks like it was dropped so don't be surprised if a new gasket doesn't fix it.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did you change oil?

I didn't see any oil in the sight glass. Were I you, I would change oil and filter. While doing that, take the time to wipe it all down too.

I wouldn't worry about a little smoke but I would worry about low oil. Also if leaking, try to locate where leak is.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you change oil?

I didn't see any oil in the sight glass. Were I you, I would change oil and filter. While doing that, take the time to wipe it all down too.

I wouldn't worry about a little smoke but I would worry about low oil. Also if leaking, try to locate where leak is.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Bike is on it's side stand. You won't see any oil in the sight glass.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not changed the oil yet, when I stand the bike up the oil covers like 80% of the sight glass.

I rode it a couple days ago, and when I got home this morning there were like 2 or 3 small drops of oil on the driveway. So if it is a leak it's a small one. I'll look up how to change that gasket to see if it's in my wheelhouse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have not changed the oil yet, when I stand the bike up the oil covers like 80% of the sight glass.

I rode it a couple days ago, and when I got home this morning there were like 2 or 3 small drops of oil on the driveway. So if it is a leak it's a small one. I'll look up how to change that gasket to see if it's in my wheelhouse.
The clutch cover on gen 1 is plastic and a bit prone to distorting, especially if over tightened. This will cause the cover to weep oil. Later models did away with the seperate clutch cover and can be used on gen 1 bikes to eliminate the problem. I have had reasonable success with using the original 'O' ring and RTV sealant. You just need to clean the mating surfaces super well and apply RTV to the O ring around the lower half of the ring groove in the cover and refit being careful not to over tighten.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts