Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 sv650 just started leaking engine oil from the large cover on the left side of the bike. There are 8-10 bolts holding this cover on with a large hex type bolt in the center. The oil leaks from right around one of the bolts.
Can this cover be removed and replace the gasket? I changed oil recently but overfilled the oil. Rode only briefly before draining some of the oil out. Could this have caused the problem.
Any help is good help.
New SV owner.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes, the cover can be removed and the gasket replaced. It would seem reasonable that an increase in oil pressure might cause a leak.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Randy S said:
Yes, the cover can be removed and the gasket replaced. It would seem reasonable that an increase in oil pressure might cause a leak.
Thanks
Is removing the cover a simple task or does the engine fall out when it is removed? (just kidding...I just want to clarifiy that I'm not an idiot)
What is the big hex bolt in the middle of the cover?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I assume you're talking about the magneto cover. If so, that big hex provides access for turning your crank, which is necessary in some procedures such as valve adjustments.

It's not difficult to remove the cover, though doing so without further damaging the gasket is more tricky. Get yourself a Clymer manual as the procedure narratives and the pix are very helpful. Make sure you have an accurate torque wrench in the appropriate range.

In fact, you might want to re-torque the fasteners and make sure it isn't just a loose fastener that is causing the leak. Just a suggestion as I'm nothing but an amateur myself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Randy S said:
In fact, you might want to re-torque the fasteners and make sure it isn't just a loose fastener that is causing the leak. Just a suggestion as I'm nothing but an amateur myself.
Yup, i'd try that first too. Unless you see something obviously wrong around the seal just torque-ing it back to spec will probably solve the problem.

Just don't over tighten it... a new gasket will probably be at worst $30... stripping a bolt out however would be significantly higher in that area I'm sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts