Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new battery back in october, didnt get ridden from a few days after that until about july. started it a few times and it would die after idling for about 10 mins, then when i go to start it up it would barely turn over and then nothing. charged the battery and it starts up fine and wont act up for a while. started riding it more and havent had a problem til last night. started up fine at work, rode home to change, started up to go get gas. gas up and starts up fine then i accidently hit the kill switch with my hand and when i go to start it back up it starts acting up and wont start. jump it and ride it about 30 miles with no problem thinking it will charge up good and wont have any more problems. get some grub at quaker steak & lube, go out to start it and it starts then dies 3 seconds later then no start again. tried to pop start it and nothing. after the 2nd attempt to pop it, i had no power at all. no dash lights, nothing. needless to say i rode ***** home on the back of a Rocket 3.

when it acted up the first few times in july i tested the battery it tested good, was putting out only about 12v at idle but at 5000 rpm it was over 13, cant remember the exact numbers. Im thinking stator or rectifier is going bad or maybe the battery is ****ty. just wondering if anyone had any ideas before i go ripping into this today

ps. it did sit for about a week and a half before i rode it last

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I'd test the R/R but chances are it's toast (common problem with SV's, search and you'll find plenty of threads saying the same thing).

Test the R/R as described in the service manual and start your search for a MOSFET type R/R.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks thats what i was thinking. i put a meter on the battery and it was completely flat. showed 1.6 volts. i have it on the charger now, but think im going to need to change that also

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it had the wrong battery in it. they put a 9bs battery in and bike calls for 12abs. 9bs has 120 cca and 12abs has 175 cca. have a new battery coming in tomorrow, hopefully that will be the problem, but ill test the RR and stator once the new battery is installed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts