Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While farting around at Autozone I spotted some 2000 degree exhaust paint. Simple question, will it work on the midpipe or even the whole exhaust piping?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I want to black out my entire pipe. I think it would look awesome. If it won't work, I might just wrap it up with that black tape stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the 500 degree ceramic engine block paint on my dirtbike's expansion chamber which gets pretty dang hot, so theoritcally it should work...but my SV isn't a POS like my dirt bike so I'd rather know before I go ya know, joe?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Where did you find the 2000 degree stuff and what kind is it? I have used dupli-color "ceramic" high heat 1200 degree exhaust stuff on my mid pipe and it works pretty well, but after a while it starts to blister. Headers are really hard to keep paint on! Way hot!

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cyclerider105 said:
Where did you find the 2000 degree stuff and what kind is it?  I have used dupli-color "ceramic" high heat 1200 degree exhaust stuff on my mid pipe and it works pretty well, but after a while it starts to blister.  Headers are really hard to keep paint on!  Way hot!
It was right next to the dupli-color 500 degree engine block paint. I'm almost sure that it was dupli-color too, if not, then probably krylon. I wouldnt even touch the headers with paint, those just get too dang hot.

·
Registered
684 Posts
i think ive seen that paint 2000' isint it bar b q paint??

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
bbq paint isnt necessarily 2000degrees, its more like 500-1000 i beleive, but i was just going to post about this topic, somebody let me know how it works so i can paint my exhaust :)

G

·
BBQ paint is up to 1500 and treats rust. On my bike the header is hidden but the mid pipe is famous for rusting so I painted the part that shows poking out from the rear of the lower fairing. Worked fine but wouldnt really do an entire pipe with it.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gotalf said:
i think ive seen that paint 2000' isint it bar b q paint??
The can says specefically for exhausts, so it "should" take the heat.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have you though about ceramic coating the exhaust?
One of the guys on our local forum (svdownunder.com) had his black ceramic coated.
But I'm sure someone in the US would be able to do the same:

·
Registered
80 Posts
a couple of years ago i painted the exhaust on my mustang with black duplicolor 1500 degree paint.  i painted everything except for the chrome tailpipes.  so far, the headers are the only pieces that are showing any wear, but they already had a little bit of surface rust before i painted them.  everything else, the h pipe, mufflers, and the tailpipes (before the reach the chrome), still look really nice.

if there is any rust at all, i think i would treat that with something.  maybe use that BBQ paint like someone esle said.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
novakane said:
well u obviously dont "ruff up" stainless steal pipes before u paint them, or do u?
Get them "eat off it" clean and then rough them up with 000 fine steel wool... be sure to wipe them down with a lint free cloth to get the steel wool bits off.

·
Registered
419 Posts
WOAH! Look at the 12 o'clock bar! :eek:

Damo said:
Have you though about ceramic coating the exhaust?
One of the guys on our local forum (svdownunder.com) had his black ceramic coated.
But I'm sure someone in the US would be able to do the same:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Any prep hints for anodized aluminum?

Sand?

Prime?

Thanks...

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you really want some strong stuff check out Jet-Hot http://www.jet-hot.com/. I have a Pace Setter header for my Plymouth Neon, that is coated with their Jet-Hot 1300 line. Out of the box it looked like polished aluminum. After the first test drive, I realized I forget to bolt the power steering fluid reservoir back on properly. I had burnt plastic and oil covering the header. After a couple of weeks it all burnt off and it looks nearly the same as new. (I can polish it back to looking like new, but it is not worth it since the header is hidden.)

When they coat a header both the inside and outside is done. For my Neon it greatly reduced the engine temperature, and improved the fuel mileage. (I have the fuel records to back up this claim.)

I don't know if Jet-Hot works on aluminum. The one thing you could do is have the aluminum re-anodized. Or you can do it yourself with Rit fabric dye. I've seen small parts done, and they look nice. Here is one link I was able to turn up quickly: http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/1221/anodize.htm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
WOAH! Look at the 12 o'clock bar! :eek:
I just found this while searching for some other stuff - its my old 03 650n. The ceramic coat was great for a little while, it was not very durable. I got better life from respraying it with vht ceramic paint from an aerosol.
Oh, and by the way, that is no 12o'clock bar. I nearly wet myself laughing at that, with my riding style. Its a ventura rack, which takes a bag.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts