Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been back for a month now, but I only just got around to make the video I promised a few people I'd make. So, here it is!

Youtube Video

I went from March 26 - April 12 and rented an SV650 (ended up being the same year, color and had the same mods), and I absolutely loved it down there. Seriously, the roads, the scenery, the people, everything...I ******* love that country. ;D

And here's just a few of the pictures I took:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Sorry for two posts, I had a list of images set aside before I found out SVR has a picture limit.

Anyway, I took my laptop with me and tried to update nightly so if you want to check it out:
http://kiwibound.livejournal.com/

Here's the link to the first day in NZ to make it easier, just click the back / forward buttons near the top of the page:
http://kiwibound.livejournal.com/2009/03/27/

My basic route was: Christchurch -> Picton -> Nelson -> Westport -> Hanmer Springs -> Mt. Cook -> Queenstown -> Invercargill -> Te Anau -> Milford Sound -> Wanaka -> Franz Josef -> Arthur's Pass -> Christchurch. A sort of lopsided figure 8 around almost the entire south island with the bonus of hitting all 3 of the mountain passes. Final distance ridden was around 4300km, an average of about 8-9 hours a day on the bike (not counting the days I didn't ride at all).

This trip has been on my wish list for a few years now. I was seriously worried that all the research, reading, anticipation, etc would ruin the enjoyment once I got there. Basically, hyping myself up for an eventual letdown. Nothing could be further from the truth, but honestly, in the last month I've tried explaining it to other people and failed, so this time I'll just let the pictures talk.

I can't wait to go back.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
That first shot of the waterfalls was just stunning. Something powerful about all that water coming down and what looked like overcast to drizzly weather.

So what happened at 5:10 when you crossed the other lane and exhaled heavily into your shield? :p

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The camera didn't really pick it up all that well, but it was much more than a drizzle. That part of the country gets an annual rainfall of about 20ft, and it was a very wet day. To give you an idea of how much rain was falling, almost all of those waterfalls only appear when it's raining. An hour or so after the rain ends, so do they :D

Here's another picture of it. That's not fog, that's rain.

That near-crash was me running into a patch of gravel. Normally the road crews are very good, from what I saw, at putting up signs warning of construction or gravel on the road. That was the one time I didn't see a warning, and I didn't realize there was a fine layer of gravel until I was already on it. I attempted to slow down, but my rear wheel locked up and I slid into the guardrail. It was freaky, but I stayed on the bike and we both survived.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Thank you for sharing your vacation. This is the best thread I've ever seen. Beautiful photos, the best YouTube video I've ever seen, and your blog is great ( I'm only on day 3, but wanted to tell you how much I'm enjoying your vacation so far.)
I've wanted to do a motorcycle vacation to NZ for several years. Now you've got me seriously thinking about it again.
What a wonderful country NZ must be! Every person I've ever met who has been there, wants to move there.
Hell, I want to move there, & I've never been there!... yet?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I was lucky enough to get to spend a month there in '06. Looks like we hit the same spots. I would love to go back w/ an MC one day. Good for you for making it happen!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Very nice, you went to some of the same places I've been. I'm looking forward to riding there again this winter.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts