Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I’m new here and hoping to pick up a little advice to help me decide about an SV650 versus a v-strom 650. I just recently sold a Suzuki M50 because I was finding that it was getting to be too heavy for me - in particular it felt top heavy. Wet weight to power ratio wasn’t very good either. I had to get a new license since I moved out of the US and took the exam on a sporty kind of bike since my M50 didn’t have enough kw to qualify for an unrestricted license. I was pretty anxious about the exam because I would be taking it with only about an hour of practice the day before on a sport-like bike (sorry I don’t remember what it was) with rear placed pegs. After the test I was amazed at how light and easy to ride the test bike was and how awkward and sluggish the M50 felt after. When I sold the M50 I got a Honda 250 scooter for the time being for practical reasons but it’s just not the same and I’m seriously missing a real bike. The scooter is light and the SV 650 is just a couple kilograms more than the scooter while the v-strom is more like the M50 in the weight department.
I’ve read that the v-strom is definitely the better bike for 2 up but it’s also (top) heavier than the SV which I think I would find better suited to my desire for a lighter, easier to ride bike. I’ve never been able to forget the facility with which I was able to ride the license exam bike.
Sorry if this is such a long post for a simple question which is if any of you regularly ride two up on your SV with an after market seat which your passenger finds comfortable or any other sage advice about 2 up riding on an SV650
Thanks!
Rich

·
Registered
43 Posts
As a former 2005 DL650 Vstrom owner and current SV owner I can attest to a couple of things.
As you mentioned, the Vstrom is not considered light and nimble. Has the top heavy feel to it and the extra weight robs some power and taxes the brakes more. Riding the Vstrom aggressively on the twisties got a bit unnerving at times. Those little brakes come in to play in a bad way. Although it's the same brakes on the SV, night and day performance difference. The newer Vstroms may be better.
2 up on the Vstrom was good though. My wife and I did a couple of full day rides and she was plenty comfy back there. I also had the benefit of a Corbin seat with passenger back rest. Even did some off road excursions, which you won't want to do on the SV.

I haven't ridden 2 up on SV yet, so no feedback there.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
My wife hates riding the back of my SV, but I think she'd hate the back of a V-strom as well. 30-45 minutes, tops is her limit. I upgraded the rider's seat, but not the passenger seat. I think the rear pegs are too high for her as well. She's 5'6".

I never rode a V-strom but my friend let me ride his 1290 Adventure. The 1290 is too tall for me and much more stable feeling at speed. I imagine a V-strom to feel similar compared to my SV.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The SV is not a great choice for 2-up riding in my opinion. I even preferred my TU250X over the SV for 2-up scoots around town - due to the light weight, low seat and comfy/separate passenger seat. Can't comment on long rides as we only ever did max 20 mins around town.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for speedy replies all. I guess I’m trying to have my cake and eat it too. My wife is dealing with some serious back Issues and realistically won’t be riding with me for a while yet. Nevertheless she would be offended if I didn’t take her into consideration in the choice of bike and she’d be right!
I’ll look more into a new seat or maybe even better there’s a local person who does custom seat work. Once I find an SV650 to buy that is.
Thanks again to all

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Have you considered something a little more cafe or standard? Maybe a Triumph Bonneville or Thruxtron or Kawasaki W800 style bike?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’ll look more into a new seat or maybe even better there’s a local person who does custom seat work. Once I find an SV650 to buy that is.
Thanks again to all
If you're looking at a 3rd Gen SV (2016+), I'd recommend the Bagster seat - I'm really happy with it - can be ordered through Silverstone Motor. You can choose between a few different padding options to suit as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I'm wanting to try another type of bike than a cruiser-type and I kept hearing about the sv650 and after a little research I thought that it would tick lots of boxes except the all-important passenger seat. I haven't test ridden one yet but the consensus seems to be that the rider position is really good, it is a v-twin and common as all get out and easy to work on. I really like the low weight factor and it just looks cool as hell. I'd love to find one of the red frame and wheel / black combination.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts