Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 SVs. For some reason here just recently, my 2nd to 3rd shift wants to stay in 2nd unless I shift hard. The bike has 4500 miles on it, I do regular oil changes etc and never have had any kind of trouble with the bike. The clutch cable set up is fine, all the other gears are smooth and the 2-3 shift is even smooth about half the time. It's not grinding or anything like that and it's perfectly rideable... just annoying. Is this common? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am glad it is just not me I am having the same problem as the original poster of this thread as well I can't shift at all to third it sticks but if I wait for a while with throttle closed I can eventually shift into 3rd after that anytime I down shift and upshift into third gear it works fine its strange indeed., I will as well go through the clutch mantra. 2 bad there isn't any pictures included in that FAQ.

If Jilra you found your solution before me, can you please let me know what you did to fix it (if the mantra doesnt resolve the problem) and I will do the same for you as well.! or anybody else in that matter :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know this is an old thread but since there has been no resolution to the issue I am here to bring it back up in hopes there is an answer.

I am having the same problem with my 2004 SV650s. It shifts fine up and down all the gears except 2-3 up-shift. It varies from almost every time to almost none of the time. I have adjusted the clutch at both ends, including the rod adjustment. The oil is brand new Amsoil 10W-40 motorcycle oil ,with a K&N oil filter. The chain is right at 1inch slack. I haven't done anything but adjust the slop in the shifter mechanism. It appears to be at the right angles from pictures I have seen.

If I shift like I do with every other gear it just stops and WILL NOT go into 3rd. It doesnt matter how far the clutch is pulled in or how hard you push with your foot. The only way to get it to go in is to relieve pressure from the shifter and then push back up with your foot again. This allows it to go in EVERY time. Its very odd and annoying. I tried adjusting the clutch lever to the point where there is no slack and it still does it.

PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
110 Posts
The few times I've heard of people talk about transmissions jamming like described in this thread, it was usually a bent shift fork...
Bent shift forks can result from rough shifting by the rider or even just heavy riders/anything that would put the transmission under abnormal duress.

I havent heard of it being a problem in SVs before, but the symptoms most closely match what I've heard from other bikes. Parts cost isn't terrible...it's dropping the engine and cracking it open that sucks :p

·
Registered
109 Posts
I tried adjusting the clutch again, and it was still happening. Like I say its not even most of the time its only some of the time. It seems like it may be operator (ME) error. I feel like if I don't close the throttle enough between shifts it won't upshift. When I was consciously make sure to fully shut the throttle in between shifts it didn't happen once. I haven't notice this being an issue with my other bike but maybe the clearances in this clutch are just much tighter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Figure it out...the freaking tip sensor wasnt mounted correctly lol I realized that when I went online pricing relays lol, but now i have another issue, i test drove the bike and everything was good until I was pulling in and realized I was stuck in 2nd gear. i couldnt shift up or down. I ended up puttin the bike on its side and messed with the shifter and eventually got it to shift...now its shift even smoother then before(noticed my bike shifting was rough when I rode my friends cbr) BUUTTTT I CANT GET PAST 4th gear!!!! no 5 or 6...im planning on messing with it tomorrow but any ideas anyone?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts