Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I need your expertise/opinion.

1. Do Tank Risers really help the performance of the bike? 1st gen SV's use a carburetor so does it really help or is it just a gimmick?

2. Does using Rear Set Risers 1" up 1" back type of thing help prevent damage to them in case of a fall or tip over?

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey everyone. I need your expertise/opinion.

1. Do Tank Risers really help the performance of the bike? 1st gen SV's use a carburetor so does it really help or is it just a gimmick?

2. Does using Rear Set Risers 1" up 1" back type of thing help prevent damage to them in case of a fall or tip over?

Thanks!
I have both of these and just did a track day. I think if you have other stuff done to your motor, like cam swap, full exhaust, rejetting, desnorkel etc.. then the tank risers sure feel like they make a difference. it may just be perceptual though.

the rearset risers won't help in a crash, but if you are tall like me then your legs won't get so fatigued.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Tank risers do seem to help on the track (testimonials only). They are cheap enough to do (buy some spacers and longer bolts at the local Home Depot), and they don't hurt, so....

Pegs, you've got that answer.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you guys. My bike is all stock so the tank risers don't seem like a good thing for me. I don't plan on tricking out the bike and engine for tracks. How tall are you wolfchimneyrock? I am 5'11 and my legs do cramp up a little bit when I do some sport touring. The Rear Set Risers might be a good addition for me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks you guys. My bike is all stock so the tank risers don't seem like a good thing for me. I don't plan on tricking out the bike and engine for tracks. How tall are you wolfchimneyrock? I am 5'11 and my legs do cramp up a little bit when I do some sport touring. The Rear Set Risers might be a good addition for me.
I am 6'-2". I have aftermarket clipon handlebars mounted underneath the top triple, so my stance is very aggressive, i.e. while cornering my chest and forearm always touch the tank. if you have the stock handlebars then you might want to mount the rearset plates so that they provide some drop instead of rise.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am 6'-2". I have aftermarket clipon handlebars mounted underneath the top triple, so my stance is very aggressive, i.e. while cornering my chest and forearm always touch the tank. if you have the stock handlebars then you might want to mount the rearset plates so that they provide some drop instead of rise.

Hey Wolf - What clip-ons are you using? Just curious - im in the market and im 6'2" as well and was looking for a way to better stretch me out over the bike.

Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had the woodcraft ones, but I had a crash and the dang thing broke at the clamp part instead of the tube... so I got a set of vortex ones, they look much more sturdy, but you have to remove the top triple to access them. However, I am currently in the process of switching to GSXR forks, so I got a set of stock SRAD bars for that.

·
Registered
789 Posts
so, I have a the SV-n, and I'm planning to put on the Bikemaster dragbars to lower the handlebar height; not as low as clip-ons, but lower is what I hear... will getting the 1"-back & 1"-up rear set risers be advantageous? or work against me?

I'm about 6'0", and can still flatfoot both feet at a stop even with the ZX10r shock installed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
so, I have a the SV-n, and I'm planning to put on the Bikemaster dragbars to lower the handlebar height; not as low as clip-ons, but lower is what I hear... will getting the 1"-back & 1"-up rear set risers be advantageous? or work against me?

I'm about 6'0", and can still flatfoot both feet at a stop even with the ZX10r shock installed.
Depends on what you mean by advantageous. Higher rearsets will give you better clearance when cornering. Lower will allow your leg to stretch more.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Depends on what you mean by advantageous. Higher rearsets will give you better clearance when cornering. Lower will allow your leg to stretch more.
well, when I ride, I usually find myself sitting pretty upright and when I accelerate hard I feel like I want more of a "superman" position compared to sitting nearly straight up. When I am in the straight up position under hard acceleration, I feel as if the bike is getting out from underneath me.
So, I guess I may want it to go up and back a little.

But then, the position of my legs as of today, my thigh/knees just barely cover my tank pads. I still get grip via the tank pads, but I feel that my knees could be a little higher for a little more surface contact between my thigh/knees and the tank pads, so maybe the up-and-back relocation of the pegs might work against that?

I hope I didn't sound too confusing...

I think the 7-position risers from SV Racing Parts might be the solution for me, since I can experiement with different configurations. It just worries me sometimes as I'm hearing some people with similar inseams (I'm a 31/32" inseam) say they're lowering their pegs... but I guess that's because they're more of a long-distance rider rather than a twisty-rider?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Adjustable would be the ticket if you want to experiment. I put high woodcrafts on my bike (non-adjustable), but I knew it was going to be track only, so I was just looking for the extra clearance.

Don't put too much weight on inseam. There are other factors like whether or not you have a bubble butt, where you position yourself on the seat, etc. If you feel like your knees could go higher, then up and back would probably be OK. Maybe there is someone local who has up/back pegs and you could try sitting on their SV??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts